Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

My website was hacked. Now what?

• Chris L
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Creative Pro

Re: My website was hacked. Now what?

Posted 7 years 3 months ago
    • Thanks. There are still files on my FTP. Could you help me out and let me know which files are the Joomla files? I did delete the Administrator directory. But there are other files as well. I am putting a screen shot in the secure area of this reply. I really appreciate your help.
    • s.
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

• Well there are folder and files that are not Joomla did any of them was added by you or? Let me try to clean it up ...

Please post your URL, Username and Password in Secure Tab and i will take a look and maybe figure out what the problem is.

FTP info with Username and password is also necessary ...

For posting sensitive information you hit the Blue Reply Button and then you will see Secure Tab. Post all info that is sensitive in there, only Fellow Mods, Staff and I can see that!
    • Available for CUSTOM WORK with Joomla, WordPress and Grav Templates and Gantry Framework!
    • Grayphics
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• My site was infected with Malicious code a couple months back. I went through all the server files with a fine tooth comb and deleted "HUNDREDS" of .php files that did not belong. It only took a day and most of it was back (but different). As it turns out, on a shared server (I don't know how your server is configured), the code was somehow being hidden in others' folders and propagating back.

Ultimately (not in this order) it took a re-install of a site back up, updates to ALL extentions/plug-ins/add-ons, update to the very latest Joomla version, and third party monitoring software (~$100 year), to effectively clean up all the malware over the course of a few weeks.

Although it seems to have put a stop to the Google pop up "The Site You Are Navigating To Has Malware - continue at your own risk" and things are running smoothly again, I'm not thrilled with the customer service nor the upsale techniques attempted by the company I used -- I won't post it here, but if you ask for it with a direct email link, I'll pass the info along.

As mentioned earlier in this thread - update everything to the latest versions (most are likely security patch updates). It's best to start there or you'll be repeating this process in a matter of days.
    • always appreciate your feedback on our site: http://www.grayphics.com

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds