Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla Help For Newbie

• Joomla Help For Newbie

Posted 18 years 2 months ago
    • Very sorry Andy to ask this here, but I have looked through the Forums and web site and I can't find any help.

I am extremely new at this, but I want to learn about installing the Joomla templates and editing / changing them. Are there any resourses you (or other members) may refer me to? I just joined and downloaded the new Gazette template. I have a website with Joomla installed and running. Do I just use cpanel or an FTP program and copy the Gazette files into the root directory where I have installed Joomla?

Any references to information which would help me understand the installation and editing of templates would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks.

Patrick
    • Stew Thompson
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • School Teacher

Re: Joomla Help For Newbie

• To install a template you must login to the admin www.domain.com/administrator
      Navigate to Installers->Templates-Site Templates
      Browse for the zip file you downloaded for the template and upload

You must now assign the template
      You can click the radio button to the left of the template, and "use as default template", or you can assign to different parts of the site

as for editing the template, maybe someone has some material for you
      good luck
    • www.bentonhighschool.com/
  • Re: Joomla Help For Newbie

• Thanks Stewart - that worked just fine!
      Patrick
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• If your looking for general help with how to use joomla, you can visit the official forums at forum.joomla.org

It's the best resource. Also the help site at help.joomla.org contains alot of useful information.
      Patrick Muldoon wrote:
      Thanks Stewart - that worked just fine!
      Patrick
  • Re: Joomla Help For Newbie

• Thanks Andy - lots of reading to do!
      Patrick

• Patrick Muldoon wrote:
      I want to learn about installing the Joomla templates and editing / changing them.
      First thing I always do is load up joomlaXplorer. www.joomla.org/content/view/443/37/
      -Helps with changing and deleting files. Use instead of FTP for most stuff.

You may still need an FTP client to set some permissions. I use smartFTP.

For general template/module position understanding, you may find it useful to load up several templates and flip between (set default) them to see what changes. Then figure out why things change.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds