Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Strange issue with PDOs and RokGallery

• Strange issue with PDOs and RokGallery

Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    • I am having a strange problem which I have not been able to isolate. I'm on a shared server. I have around 40 Web sites there. With some Web sites, such as emeraldmarine.com, I cannot load PDOs.

The PHP PDO module is needed but not installed.
      The PHP MySQL PDO driver is needed but not installed.
      The PHP Sqlite PDO driver is needed but not installed.

When I try to load via custom php.ini in the root, it gets overwritten when anyone loads any age on the site and those are eliminated. This prevents me from using RokGallery.

BUT, On other sites on the same server, using a different (RT) template, the PDOs load without a custom php.ini. And, if I place a custom php.ini it doesn't get overwritten when a site is loaded in a browser.

Is this a Joomla issue or a template issue???

Server Details (Linux/Windows, Hosting service, etc)Linux cpanel5.amhosting.com 2.6.18-338.5.1.el5.lve0.8.25PAE #1 SMP
      PHP version5.2.17
      Platform (name and version)Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT
      Template/Extension (name and version)rt_ionosphere 1.6
      Link to the Issue www.emeraldmarine.com
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Strange issue with PDOs and RokGallery

• Sounds like a server issue... whatever is overwriting/erasing your PHP.ini's is the culprit... that's not something Joomla/Gantry would ever do...

Are you domains actual new domains or are some of them Addons?

Ask your Host to Enable the MySQL PDO Driver at the server level... have it built into the Apache/PHP build so you don't have to mess with trying to force-enable it via custom php.ini's
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
  • Re: Strange issue with PDOs and RokGallery

• Both of the sites I mention are in my WebHostManager account. They're both on the same server. Both are at least 18 months old. One has the PDOs available with NO custom php.ini. So, I know PDOs are available. The other does not see the PDOs. And, the php.ini even gets overwritten when I post a custom php.ini including the extensions. Seems very strange. And, my host says PDOs are loaded on the server.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Art Shotwell.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Art Shotwell wrote:
      And, the php.ini even gets overwritten when I post a custom php.ini including the extensions.

Please explain/clarify that...

where are you seeing the error?

Do you have full sever access/WHM or just a reseller WHM? Do you have access to Easy Apache in WHM?
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:

• It's a reseller WHM account. When I put a custom php.ini in the root of some of my web sites, it gets overwritten as soon as someone visits the site. For other Web sites in my same WHM account, the custo php.ini does not get overwritten and those sites have PDO services.
      Here is a custom php.ini that I have tried at sites where PDO service doesn't work.
      allow_url_fopen = 1
      allow_url_include = 0
      extension = pdo.so
      extension = pdo_sqlite.so
      extension = pdo_mysql.so
      memory_limit = 64M
      It gets overwritten to:
      allow_url_fopen = 0
      allow_url_include = 0
      extension = "pdo_mysql.so"
      memory_limit = "64M"
      My host says PDO services are available... and I do have them for some sites in my WHM.
      Naturally when someone visits RokGallery without PDO services, there's an error message. What is strange in my case, I installed RokGallery at a site, created a gallery and it worked for months. Suddenly, started seeing errors and it stopped.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Make sure you're using at least PHP 5.4.... Ask your host why those specific PHP.ini files are being changed like that... I've never seen that/heard of that...

The fact that you even need a PHP.ini file means that the PDO drivers are NOT built into the base Apache/PHP build... they're installed, you can enable them per site (sort of) via your PHP.ini files obviously... but they are not built/defaulted... if you're host would simply rebuild apache with those drivers enabled (and adequate PHP Memory ~ I'd recommend at least 128M) then you wouldn't need ANY php.ini files

• My host doesn't want to do anything. He says PDO service is on by default. And, I do see it on some sites without a custom php.ini. Neither he nor I can explain the discripancy. My host was small and in Reno, Nev. when I found them 10 years ago and they had great customer service. They were sold, then sold again and the owner is in Los Angeles now. Not so good.

My server is on php 5.2.17.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Art Shotwell.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Very old PHP... it certainly has some security issues too...

php.net/eol.php

www.cvedetails.com/version/106044/PHP-PHP-5.2.17.html

This all may well fix itself if you upgrade to PHP 5.4+ (may as well go 5.5 or 5.6 IMO)... that's what I would personally do first if Apache can't be rebuilt to enable/build the required PDO MySQL PHP Drivers... incidentally enough, to upgrade to PHP 5.4+, you'd have to rebuild Apache...

In the primary WHM account that your Reseller account is a part of (among, presumably, other reseller/shared accounts) he can just go to Easy Apache and more or less tick a handful of options across a couple screens to rebuild Apache and upgrade PHP.

If you have 40+ important sites in this environment I would highly recommend upgrading PHP to a secure version... upgrading PHP isn't necessarily a "small" thing... if you have sites running really old PHP code you may find that bits and pieces of the code don't work and things could certainly break... having the CMS code current would be the most important. Joomla 3.x requires PHP 5.3.10+ for example to work properly -- www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

You might also find benefit in just getting your own VPS environment with CentOS/WHM (Full)/cPanel pre-installed/licensed... you can find em for $30-$50 a month... then you can just do this stuff yourself/keep things up to date/have more control.

It's a server issue not a software issue... I'm not saying it's 100% because of a very old PHP version but it's probably something in that direction... a) enable/build the PDO drivers server-wide b) fix whatever's overwriting the php.ini files... again... has to be something at the server level... maybe some weird script they put in to support another customer on that box... maybe some setting in the main WHM...

• It IS time for me to move. My host offered to move my accounts to a vps, but I have no idea how to manage a vps. I'll look around for a managed vps host.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds