Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry 5.. Wow.. I'm stumped..

• J!eremy
    • Elite Rocketeer

Gantry 5.. Wow.. I'm stumped..

Posted 8 years 11 months ago
    • Maybe Im overthinking it.. maybe I was too comfortable with the old way.. maybe I didn't keep up on all the blogs explaining what was going on.. but I am super overwhelmed initially by the particles and layout.. and we still have modules, and now we have a ton of template styles assigned..

Is there an "apparently I'm an Old Codger" blog or post around that kind of breaks down what has to be done? Do I do particles and modules, or only particles? and how to I get a module assigned to a particle when its not a position anymore..

This is my initial thought.. Now that I have a Rocketlauncher, I will figure it out.. just wanted to throw this out in the air in case someone else feels like me.. or the rest of the awesome Mods want to help buiild a bridge for me. I love the layout manager and how versitile it is, but what to do once I have a layout.....

Thanks guys!
    • Last Edit: 8 years 11 months ago by J!eremy.
    • Send moderators PMs ONLY if they request it.
      James' First Blog Post lol
      Top Tips for Support
      Be SPECIFIC when posting.
    • J!eremy
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Gantry 5.. Wow.. I'm stumped..

• I will also say this.. WHOA.. everything is totally amazing.. the Intro video is great, and everything it shows is great.. I just have no idea how to do the basic Joomla functions anymore.. haha

Watching all the rest of the videos now.
      Top Tips for Support
    • J!eremy
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Ok, so you guys can delete this whole thread if you want.. haha.. Im still overwhelmed, but I think I get the idea.. you can do menus, particles, layouts, in Gantry 5.. but you still do articles and modules out in Joomla, but can also do Custom HTML modules inside Gantry.
      Top Tips for Support
    • Brian Shea
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Management, Server Admin, Google Apps Service Provider

• So, I have to watch videos to learn?
      I know the majority seem to like videos, but I still prefer text/images for instructions.

I also find the placement of modules confusing (haven't watched videos yet), but my first reaction is that Gantry5 is great for design, but not so much 'Content Management' anymore. One of the great things of CMS is that all the content is managed, mostly as articles. And modules handled special things like menus, lists, etc.

Now, ALL the content for a website can be done with Gantry. I imagine an admin not familiar with RocketTheme will have a tough time trying to figure out where all the content is when they see no articles, and no assigned modules. Who would ever think to look for content in the template?
    • Website Hosting and Management for the non-technical, non-geeks
      G+ Page for Seven Sages , a Google Apps Authorized Reseller
    • Brian Shea
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Management, Server Admin, Google Apps Service Provider

• whoops. I take that back about videos versus written instructions.
      Found the Gantry docs: docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/gantry-admin

I remember seeing info about the docs, but never thought I had to actually read it completely. Most of the time, Docs are only needed for a few unclear things. But this new framework really requires a bit of studying.

Perhaps there should be more of a warning for users about how different the new templates are. It WILL require reading up and studying. And it will require a change in thinking of where content is created, and when/why to use Particles instead of modules or articles.

Remember that not everyone is following along with the development, nor reading blogs. They just see a new template, and expect it to work like the others.
    • Website Hosting and Management for the non-technical, non-geeks
      G+ Page for Seven Sages , a Google Apps Authorized Reseller

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds