Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

demo joomla theme IE8 don't work

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: demo joomla theme IE8 don't work

Posted 9 years 7 months ago
    • Ok so I just did some testing with one of the other guys (Our volunteer MOD @henning) on a real IE8 machine and we were getting issues...

... until I disabled jch_optimise and cleared server cache...

... now it's working.

IE8 cannot cope with big JS and CSS files - jch_optimise is compressing them into one huge lump and IE8 just cannot cope with this... see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2011/05/14/10164546.aspx

Regards, Mark.
    • Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by MrT.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Quentin
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hi, thanks very much for your continued help looking at this. What OS were you guys testing with? What was the result? Could you start navigating the website ok?

This morning I followed up your investigation by running several tests on both Windows7 and XP with IE8 in the hope I could replicate your success. Here's what I did along with my findings:
      • Launched a Win7, IE8 test machine. It loaded the homepage ok but when clicking on a link it went to compatibility mode and autorefreshed with the unsupported browser page. I checked in Joomla that JCH was still disabled in the panel - it was disabled. I decided to flus cache and tried again.
      • Launched a new Win7, IE8 test machine. It loaded homepage ok. When clicking a link this time it returned the page title of the new page, but didnt update any content (I've seen this before.) It doesn't lock the browser in that you can click on links and top level menu items (no drop downs on hover) and it doesn't update page content. I repeated the test with another Win7, IE8 test machine. Same result as before, no content update.
      • Tested on a local XP/IE8 PC. It loaded homepage however I noticed that the contact module tab top right was orange, not blue, and when clicking on it to drop down it had no background. I clicked a menu link and it updated page title but didn't update content like with Win7. I tried entering url manually for other random pages. It appears to go through the motion of downloading content (3 items to go etc) and updated the page titles but displayed no content at all. It was a white (blank) page every time. I then entered homepage manually in url bar and it loaded homepage ok with correct blue contact tab top right. Same result when clicking a menu link though - update title, no content update.
      • Launched an XP, IE8 test machine. Loaded homepage ok with blue contact tab top right. Same result when clicking a link - update page title, no content update. Relaunched test machine and recorded a video to demonstrate. See the secure area.

If JCH is disabled then I can't see that it's causing this peculiarity? I also just tried disabling the contact module again, flushed server cache, cleared all cache from local XP machine, but it still maintained same issue of updating page title and not updating content.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• You simply have too much going on on those pages for IE8 to cope with. Jch_optimise will make it worse because it combines CSS and JS into massive files. Even without Jch_optimise you site still has a lot of JS and CSS. It is vital that you clear cache on those browser too - make sure you are doing that correctly. IE8 is old - I think you should consider really blocking IE8 with the "unsupported browser" message altogether.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds