Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Outlines and Particles vs Outlines and Modules for Design

• Outlines and Particles vs Outlines and Modules for Design

Posted 5 years 11 months ago
    • Since you can add particles directly into outlines and do your page design from the template portion using Gantry 5 or you can create a common outline that uses module positions/instances I was wondering if there are any drawbacks to either option.

More detail...

Let's say we have a 5 page website. I can create 5 different outlines and directly embed particles at the various locations I want to use and input all the information directly into the particle in the outline for each page.

Alternatively, I can create a "common" outline and then use module instance or module position to display the information from previously created modules.

I am wondering if there are any performance hits one way or the other by having multiple outlines vs multiple modules? Does one or the other load faster?

Another question I came across is where is the information actually stored when you add a particle directly to a layout. It does not get stored in the joomla database I don't think.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Outlines and Particles vs Outlines and Modules for Design

Posted 5 years 11 months ago
    • No, there's very little difference in performance. But the main reason you might use modules instead of particles is that you can use Joomla ACL then (i.e. restrict certain modules to certain user groups which you can't if you put particles directly onto the layout of your outline). Of course you can put a particle in a "Gantry 5 particle" module and then you can still use joomla ACL, but then your layout will consist mainly of "module position" particles on the layout (which means you can share the outline amongst lots of pages).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds