Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Help! Bug? Updating Grantry 5.2.13 to higher causes hashed accented texts

• SOLVED Help! Bug? Updating Grantry 5.2.13 to higher causes hashed accented texts

Posted 7 years 7 months ago
    • I am experiencing this problem since Gantry 5.2.13 on one site and 5.3.2 to 5.3.4 on another one.
      Updating causes all accented texts to be hashed (see images), however, only in the menus and headlines, not in the texts within a particular page, which appears to indicate that the UTF8 collation is correct for the site, but not for Gantry.
      On the first site I restored all public_html files from a back-up, which solved the problem.
      On the latter I installed the Helium template 5.3.2, which generated the problem. The Hydrogen v. 5.3.2 template was working fine, previous to the install.
      Here I only restored Gantry 5 files and the Hydrogen template to the existing version previous to the Helium install. The template manager now indicates Gantry 5.3.2, however, the 5.3.4 package update does not show anymore on the update manager (the template package does, but cannot be installed), and the hashed text problem is still there.
      Apparently, the Gantry package and/or template install overwrites more than just Gantry 5 files...
      I really need to solve this problem, because I run various multi lingual sites - in Dutch, Spanish and English, mostly - and not being able to reliably update Gantry and the related templates poses a serious problem, obviously.
      Any help is most appreciated!

Hosting provider: Siteground (Apache)
      PHP version 5.6.25 (Linux)
      Joomla version: 3.6.2
      Gantry 5.2.13 (site 1), Gantry 5.3.2 (rolled back from 5.3.4 - site 2)

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Gerard Prins.
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Re: SOLVED Help! Bug? Updating Grantry 5.2.13 to higher causes hashed accented texts

• Re: SOLVED Help! Bug? Updating Grantry 5.2.13 to higher causes hashed accented texts

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Damir, moderators and administrators
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Re: SOLVED Help! Bug? Updating Grantry 5.2.13 to higher causes hashed accented texts

• Re: SOLVED Help! Bug? Updating Grantry 5.2.13 to higher causes hashed accented texts

• The last backup of the site you are looking at is of August 20.
      Being aware of the issue I ought to have made a backup, today, but since I had not had problems before with Gantry here and was updating Helium to the exact same version I did not expect problems.
      Anyway, I can live with rolling back to last week if necessary.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Gerard Prins.
    • Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

• I don't think the issue is caused by Gantry because of Gantry doesn't html encode characters. The issue can be seen for example in menu item: Español. Usually these are caused by some PHP/JS filtering which doesn't support UTF8. In this case the issue was in System - ScriptsDown plugin. I disabled it and now the site works just fine.
    • The following users have thanked you: Gerard Prins

• Gantry 5, enjoy!

• Thank you so much, Matias!
      I would have never have figured that one out by myself.
      After uninstalling the plugin on the other site as well, I succesfully updated to Hydrogen 5.3.4.
      The problem is gone.
      In all the years I have been doing sites I rarely experienced such excellent support!
      A big thank you to Damir as well.
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds