Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Multiple Themes on 1 Joomla site

• SOLVED Multiple Themes on 1 Joomla site

Posted 7 years 9 months ago
    • Greetings everyone!

After many hours of studying i have enjoyed how flexible Gantry 5 is with creating a theme with its own look. Edited it from body all the way up to particles and atoms. So far so good.
      Since i am creating a fairly large website with different sections and 1 database, i decided to have different themes per section with different layout for certain reasons.
      So I created different themes each with their own menu/layout/colors and even already appointed different domains to different sections.
      So far so good still.

However, i seem to have trouble having the multiple themes show up per section of the site. It keeps forcing the main theme look despite the fact that i dictate the assignments to the specific themes.
      When i activate all assignments to 1 or the other theme it shows it perfectly. The moment i divide the assignments to more than 1 theme i get the same thing again.
      I also noticed that the menu item that is considered as "Home" dictates the theme to show on all assignments.

So what exactly am i missing here?

I have done a couple of attempts to try and make this work:
      1. I disabled the particle defaults of the baseline and activated particle defaults on the themes i created.
      2. I removed the "Home" menu item to a seperate menu that doesnt show.
      3. Gave every module an unique name to edit accordingly in custom.scss
      4. googled myself silly (even read outdated posts)

So I am a bit at a loss here. It couldnt be that Gantry 5 doesnt handle multiple themes with different layouts/looks .... right?

The site is offline but i am happy to give login info privately to have a look if/when needed.

Thank you for your time.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: SOLVED Multiple Themes on 1 Joomla site

• Hi there,

Perhaps I have misunderstood you in which case I apologies.

A template can only be assigned to a menu item. If you have a link or 'read more' to an article or page with no menu item then the default template takes over. This is how Joomla works.

The common solution for pages without a menu item is to create a hidden menu which has links to those pages. You can then assign your templates to those menu items and they will override the 'Home' default process.

Hope this helps 8)
    • The following users have thanked you: Actifuse

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
  • Re: SOLVED Multiple Themes on 1 Joomla site

• Hello David,

Thank you for your time.

All articles have a menu link. Just not in the same menu. So that entails lets say per example: 2 different sections --> 2 different menus.

Just to make sure i have created 2 menu modules of 1 menu and put 1 of each in the 2 sections.
      I double checked to see if i assigned the outlines correctly and that seems to be the case.
      I have yet to prevail.

There are no readmore links (yet) And just now i created a menu item on the first outline+menu to link to the 2nd outline+menu and that hasnt solved the issue either.

It seems to me that if i can make that work then i can always check later how to go about hidden menus ?

I hope i have followed your line of thought correctly .. my apologies if not .. i am still i think considered an average developer.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi there,

Can you use the 'secure' option above post input to provide me with a temporary Super Admin access please and I will take a look to see what the cause may be.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to David Goode, moderators and administrators

• David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi there,

I can see nothing incorrect in your settings. :(

So my next step was disable SEO Friendly URLs and Rewrites - Everything works perfectly.

I will ask my colleagues if they have any further ideas as most sites will need SEO friendly URLs.

Thanks for your patience 8)

• Hey :)

Okay i am going to sound stupid now ..

what are SEO Friendly URLs and Rewrites and when do we use them ? :D

oh wait i see what you mean ..

I also see that i should double check apache and .htaccess

Alright, while i wait for your feedback i will check and see these files for URL Rewriting :)
    • Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Actifuse.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi there,

In Joomla config you have the option for both of these. In yours they are both set to YES. When I disabled them it all worked fine.

So instead of www.actifuse.org/portal/actifuse-net the joomla link without SEO it is www.actifuse.org/portal/index.php?option...ory&id=11&Itemid=216

To check - just go to your Joomla Configuration and set them to NO and clear Joomla cache and refresh browser and you will see the links work correctly.

Hope this helps 8)

• Hey David,

I just check and saw the following:

- htaccess.txt has been renamed to .htaccess
      - Rewrite Engine is on in .htaccess

Further more i also saw that when Url rewriting is set to yes everything is fine.

Search Engine Friendly URLs seems to be the one causing issues.

I have no idea why or how tho .. i will see what i can find in the meantime as well on the topic.

Once again your help is awesome!
    • Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Actifuse.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds