Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

[closed] Main menu in Gantry themes

• [closed] Main menu in Gantry themes

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • I'm growing pretty frustrated with Gantry 5 and the themes built for it, and I'm not finding documentation on any of the problems I'm having.

I started a thread a while back about removing sample data - a process which is convoluted and makes very little sense. it looks like Gantry is just duplicating functionality that Joomla already offers, and I'm not seeing the benefit of doing so.

Anyway, mini rant over.

I'm working on my first site in the Gantry 5 framework and am having problems with the main menu. I'm not seeing anythign about this in the documentation for the theme, but it's looking like I can't just use the existing main menu within Joomla as the main menu in the theme - is that correct? If not I don't see where to change it.

Assuming that's the case it looks like I need to recreate the menu. However, I don't understand "particles" and only need to create menu items for existing articles. Things are so messy and convoluted I can't even tell if this is possible. What little I can understand looks like I need to re-create the articles within the theme settings?!

I have no idea what's going on with this. So my questions are:

1. Can I use my existing main menu which exists in Joomla as the main menu in the Gantry 5 theme?
      2. If not, how am I supposed to create menu items for articles?
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: [closed] Main menu in Gantry themes

• DynamicWebStudios wrote:
      it looks like Gantry is just duplicating functionality that Joomla already offers, and I'm not seeing the benefit of doing so.

The rationale behind a template is that it restyles existing Joomla CMS content. However Gantry 5 takes Joomla to a new level its not capable of.
      Using the Protostar template you have no where near the amount of module positioning control that Gantry provides.
      Also Joomla doesn't do Particles which are another level of content presentation we provide our users.

DynamicWebStudios wrote:
      1. Can I use my existing main menu which exists in Joomla as the main menu in the Gantry 5 theme?
      Yes. You create and manipulate menus just as you would in Protostar. However Protostar doesn't let you insert modules into your menu. You would have to do a lot of hand-coding.
      There is a wee outstanding bug that sometimes when you change the menu order of items in the Joomla menu manager that doesn't show up on the front end. You then make that change in the Outlines Menu editor. We're currently working on that.

DynamicWebStudios wrote:
      2. If not, how am I supposed to create menu items for articles?
      Again you would do this just as you would with the Protostar template.
  • Re: [closed] Main menu in Gantry themes

• DanG wrote:
      Yes. You create and manipulate menus just as you would in Protostar.

I'm not seeing this. Where? The only place I see a menu that matches up with what shows on the front end is under "Menu" in the upper right of the template editor. I don't see anywhere where I can specify that it uses a Joomla menu.
      DanG wrote:
      Again you would do this just as you would with the Protostar template.

I'm sorry, but if it was the same as in Protostar or any other Joomla menu it would be in relative plain sight. When I open the template/Gantry menu I'm presented with 2 options in the menu editor, where I can drag and drop either a module or a particle. The option to add a menu item for an article is not under modules, so reason would have it that it is a Particle. However, I don't see anything in the resulting option screen where I can select an article.

The item selection process is nothing like the default Joomla process.

Which Particle contains articles?

• Does anyone have an answer for me?

• I would really appreciate some direction on this.

• I'm really trying to be patient but this has been a long time with no response.

Is there anyone who can answer my questions?
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • DynamicWebStudios wrote:
      I'm not seeing this. Where? The only place I see a menu that matches up with what shows on the front end is under "Menu" in the upper right of the template editor. I don't see anywhere where I can specify that it uses a Joomla menu.

Please see http://docs.gantry.org/gantry5/particles/menu-control

Where it says "CMS Menu Manager Creates and configures the menu as it appears to the CMS. All menus start here." they are referring to this in Joomla:

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

DynamicWebStudios wrote:
      I'm sorry, but if it was the same as in Protostar or any other Joomla menu it would be in relative plain sight. When I open the template/Gantry menu I'm presented with 2 options in the menu editor, where I can drag and drop either a module or a particle. The option to add a menu item for an article is not under modules, so reason would have it that it is a Particle. However, I don't see anything in the resulting option screen where I can select an article.

The item selection process is nothing like the default Joomla process.

Which Particle contains articles?

In Gantry 4 you had to enable the Main Body to Display Joomlas articles. The same idea exists for Gantry 5 where you choose to use articles & modules or just articles or just modules - the choice is yours.

The Page Content particle displays content assigned to a given page. For example, if you have articles that you would like to have appear on your home page amongst your other particles and modules, you can do so by including the Page Content particle in your layout.

Please see " Page Content "
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Posted 7 years 10 months ago
    • Hi there,

I am currently going through our old unanswered posts and was wondering if you still need help with this issue?

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

Posted 7 years 10 months ago
    • Thanks for following up, but no. We've moved all new development to Wordpress and away from RocketTheme. The changes in Gantry 5 were just too much to deal with.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds