Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Callista template memory error upon saving

• SOLVED Callista template memory error upon saving

Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    • Hi:

I am trying to use the Gantry 5 Callista template on my Siteground hosting package. When I try to save changes to the Callista default from the Administrator page, I get the attached error message. I have tried using Siteground tech support, but am not really getting resolution. Thsy tell me to contact Rocket theme...so...

I copied specs here:

System Information
      Setting Value

PHP Built On Linux serv01.siteground263.com 2.6.32.59-sg3 #9 SMP Wed Sep 26 03:29:25 CDT 2012 x86_64
      Database Version 5.5.44-37.3-log
      Database Collation utf8_general_ci
      PHP Version 5.4.44
      Web Server Apache
      WebServer to PHP Interface cgi-fcgi
      Joomla! Version Joomla! 3.3.6 Stable [ Ember ] 01-October-2014 02:00 GMT
      Joomla! Platform Version Joomla Platform 13.1.0 Stable [ Curiosity ] 24-Apr-2013 00:00 GMT
      User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/44.0.2403.157 Safari/537.36

Your help greatly appreciated!!

Gary
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Callista template memory error upon saving

• Gary ONeill wrote:
      I have tried using Siteground tech support, but am not really getting resolution. Thsy tell me to contact Rocket theme...so...

Seriously :whistle: ... so disappointing as this is unfortunately not all that uncommon a message :(

Template Manager glitches, textual pages or blank menu pages off the Homepage are often caused by not enough PHP memory. Check Admin -> Site or System -> System Information -> PHP Information -> Core -> memory_limit. It should be a minimum of 128MB or preferably higher.

When you see an error that reads something like “Fatal Error: Allowed memory size of xxxxxx bytes exhausted” either in browser or server logs , that means PHP has exhausted the max memory limit. Mostly, this is due to the insufficient memory allocated for the script which tried to allocate xx more. This is part of the error message generated on your server that says (tried to allocate xx bytes).
      Increase the "memory limit" to a size that totals over the amount you saw in the error.
      Generally for Joomla 64Mb is an ABSOLUTE minimum and if your running a lot of extensions, like RokGallery, 512Mb would be preferable.
      So generally, there are three methods:
      Editing the php.ini file (recommended)
      For Linux Web Hosting and Dedicated Website Servers running PHP as a CGI
      Every installation of PHP has a default or global php.ini file for the default PHP settings. Normally it is suggested to leave the default or global php.ini file unaltered and to simply create your own php.ini file wherever needed to override the default settings. You can create the php.ini file using a text editor and saving the file to the folder where the settings should apply. Please note that using a php.ini file to override the default settings will only alter the PHP settings for all PHP files in the directory where it is saved. This means that any PHP files in subfolders will not recognize the changes you've made in the php.ini file. You will have to copy the file to any subdirectories needed.
      Write each directive along with its value on separate lines. Lines starting with a hash symbol (#) are comment lines and have no effect on the settings within the file.
      An example:
      ; at least 64M
      memory_limit = 256M;
      upload_max_filesize = 10M;
      post_max_size = 12M;

Make sure that post_max_size is larger than the upload_max_size.

Editing the .htaccess file
      For Dedicated Website and Linux Root Servers where PHP is running as an Apache module.
      The .htaccess file is used to set Apache Web Server settings but can also be used to set php directives when used as a module. The settings in .htaccess file are recursive meaning that the settings within the .htaccess file will apply to all PHP files within the directory where it is saved as well as subdirectories. There is no default .htaccess file be default unless one was included with a Web Application install (such as Joomla, Wordpress, etc.) If not already created, you will have to create the .htaccess file using a text editor and save the file to the folder where the settings need to be applied. Please note that the dot(.) preceding the .htaccess file signifies it as a hidden file.
      Write each directive along with its value on separate lines. Lines starting with a hash symbol (#) are comment lines and have no effect on the settings within the file.
      An example:
      ## at least 64M ##
      php_value memory_limit "128M" 
      php_value upload_max_filesize "10M"
      php_value post_max_size "12M"
      Again, make sure that post_max_size is larger than the upload_max_size.

Some hoster's offer you the ability to change your php settings in the Cpanel or Plesk panel for your account, such as HostGator:
      Making Changes via cPanel's php.ini QuickConfig utility in the "Software/Services" section of your cPanel.
      1.Login to cPanel.
      2.Click on php.ini QuickConfig in the "Software/Services" section.
      3.Enable QuickConfig if not already enabled.
      4.Change the settings that you want to change.
      5.Click the Save Changes button to save your changes.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by DanG.
  • Re: SOLVED Callista template memory error upon saving

• Ok, Dan

So I contacted Siteground tech support and this was their answer:

Hello Gary,

The current memory_limit on your account is 256MB as you can see in the php info file I have created :

summitscholar.org/info.php

Please double-check in the Joomla Administrator panel to ensure that there are no internal limits imposed somewhere in the application itself.

Should any other questions arise - you are welcome to contact us back.

Best Regards

Ivan Alexandrov
      Customer Service Department

Any other thoughts on this situation?

Gary
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• So as a result of SiteGrounds much better second reply I did some digging into this with our devs. There is currently an issue with PHP memory with sytems that have 64M or less. So I wouldn't have thought this would affect you.

It's been suggested that in Global Configuration -> Debug -> turn this ON (not the Language one though). Then try saving the template and at the bottom of the screen check how much each Ajax request took in memeory. Generally Gantry in joomla takes less than 10M.

If your uncomfortable in doing this then would you please create a Super Admin login for me and place it in the SECURE part of your Reply

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

so that I can take a look.

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to DanG, moderators and administrators

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Gary ONeill, moderators and administrators
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Gary ONeill wrote:
      Dan also,

I just tried turning on debug and saving... not sure what to do after that...

I'll let you do the next steps :-)

Gary

Okay I made trivial changes in all the Tabs of Outline-26 other than Assignments in my Chrome browser and this what I came up with:
      Admin URLMemory UsageMemory before last DB query
      index.php20.43M2.333M
      index.php?option=com_templates14.68M2.334M
      index.php?option=com_gantry5&view=configurations/26/layout19.74M2.336M
      made block width change in the above19.74M2.336M
      made particle variation change in the above19.74M2.336M
      made Section Styles change in the above19.74M2.336M

Everything appears nominal here. What browser are you using and give me a detailed step-by-step of what it is you do to trigger the error.

• Dan:

Here are my steps

From the Admin page, Under the extensions tab, I go to template manager

From the list shown, I click on Callisto Default

Now I am on this page:

summitscholar.org/administrator/index.ph...e15cc84a356fadcc28=1

I go to the upper right corner of this page and click on the "Save Styles" button

When I did this (I tried clicking this button five times), three times I got a message saying that the style was saved.

However two of those times I got this message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 130968 bytes) in /home/summit87/public_html/libraries/gantry5/vendor/leafo/scssphp/src/Parser.php on line 1952

I have captured two error messages. After that, I again clicked the button and got a "Style saved sucessfully message"??

Intermittent problem

Gary
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• For me it crashed when I tried to Save Preset4. I can't reproduce this on my local Callisto as it's set to 512M but I've got one of the BIG guns helping me ;)
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Really...I should follow my advice to others and read the Docs :rolleyes:
      Joomla 3.4+

It is strongly recommended that you always use the latest stable version of Joomla to ensure all known bugs and security issues are addressed. At the time this document was written, 3.4 is the latest stable version of Joomla. Gantry 5 will only function properly on Joomla 3.4 and higher.

So do an Akeeba backup, install J343 and then update Gantry 5 to v5.1.1

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds