Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Update to Font Awesome 4

• MarioMari
    • Elite Rocketeer

SOLVED Update to Font Awesome 4

Posted 10 years 5 months ago
    • Hi!
      There is a new version 4.0.0 Font Awesome. Changed the name of style - and I understand it's not a problem to do Serial Replace.

But how to update the template? Gantry wait for an update?

Best Regards!
    • Who?
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Joomla freelancer

Re: SOLVED Update to Font Awesome 4

• You should really wait for an update. With FontAwesome 3.2.1 there was a procedure that involved lots of steps and now when they changed so much this procedure will be even bigger and our devs didn't share it with us yet. FontAwesome 4 just got release so you will have to wait a bit if you want to use it.

Since new version includes only few new icons I am sure that there is no hurry in updating 8)
    • Check my services at: Mihha-Vision
    • MarioMari
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hi! Igor
      Of course you're right :)
      I prefer to ask before that in order to know about the problems.

Best Regards!
    • Patrick Toulze
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Marketing - Web Designer

Posted 10 years 3 weeks ago
    • I don’t understand. I was thinking that the use of those external librairies (Like Google Fonts) was exactly to be external and be always available.

My Question:
      How Awesome become so intricate that it become difficult to update to the newer Awesome?

Awesome even change the name of their icons — Now —> fa fa-oldnameoficon — (Something that I find extremely stupid)
      Seeing this, I can comprehend that Awesome probably also modify the implemantation itself.

Maybe this librairy need to be less a part of Gantry and more like an add-on....
    • Last Edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by Patrick Toulze.
    • Graphic Designer - Marketing -Web Sites — Trying to become a decent human being.
      www.grafcomm.ca
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Posted 9 years 10 months ago
    • Hi there,

On the newer templates I had succes with the following...

Step 1 - Take a backup and make sure it restores to a development site (I always work on a clone first)
      Step 2 - Download the 4.1.0 files from fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/
      Step 3 - Extract zip file
      Step 4 - Open the the fonts directory from the download and copy all 5 files to replace the existing files in /libraries/gantry/assets/jui/fonts/font-awesome4/
      Step 5 - Open the less directory from the download and copy all 13 files to /libraries/gantry/assets/jui/less/font-awesome4/
      Step 6 - Open the variables.less file from step 5 and at line 4 find the following code...
      @fa-font-path:        "../fonts";

replace it with...
      @fa-font-path:        "../../../libraries/gantry/assets/jui/fonts/font-awesome4";

Test that the new icons work.

If your site has no changes since you took the backup then you could restore the clone to the live site. Alternatively you could just take the live site offline and replicate the changes in steps 1-6

Hope this helps 8)
    • The following users have thanked you: Paul Davis, Jono Cowdery, QuietWork, Garrett Palowitch

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • Patrick Toulze
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Marketing - Web Designer

• Thanks David - I will try on Epsilon and come back — Great...
    • Graphic Designer - Marketing -Web Sites — Trying to become a decent human being.
      www.grafcomm.ca
  • Re: SOLVED Update to Font Awesome 4

• Hello to all,
      I'm using rt_afterburner2 needing some of the new font icons.
      I did the update following the instructions, it works!
      Anyway, trying to put one of the new icons using the template syntax (.icon-CLASS_NAME) nothing appears.
      I saw that the less file containing the definitions exists.
      Is there something more to do to ?
      Thank you in advance
      --
      Francesco
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Francesco,

The syntax is now fa fa-iconname e.g. class="fa fa-bolt"

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
  • Re: SOLVED Update to Font Awesome 4

Posted 9 years 7 months ago
    • David Goode wrote:

Step 1 - Take a backup and make sure it restores to a development site (I always work on a clone first)
      Step 2 - Download the 4.1.0 files from fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/
      Step 3 - Extract zip file
      Step 4 - Open the the fonts directory from the download and copy all 5 files to replace the existing files in /libraries/gantry/assets/jui/fonts/font-awesome4/
      Step 5 - Open the less directory from the download and copy all 13 files to /libraries/gantry/assets/jui/less/font-awesome4/
      Step 6 - Open the variables.less file from step 5 and at line 4 find the following code...
      @fa-font-path:        "../fonts";

replace it with...
      @fa-font-path:        "../../../libraries/gantry/assets/jui/fonts/font-awesome4";

Not working with Anacron Template, Gantry 4.1.25, FontAwesome 4.2.0
    • Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by besonerms.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Posted 9 years 7 months ago
    • Hi there,

I see you edited your post and removed the fatal error message which pointed out that you were missing a colour code. I suspect you have a parameter somewhere that expects a colour and you have left it blank.

Hope this helps 8)

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds