Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry 5 - Layout Customisation

• Gantry 5 - Layout Customisation

Posted 6 years 6 months ago
    • Hi there,

I feel like this is a really dumb question, but as I'm so new to Gantry 5 and haven't been able to find the settings I'm looking for, I need some help. Please don't judge me too harshly! :)

I'm wondering if there is any way to change the styling of any given template position directly via the backend like you can with templates from other providers (i.e. without creating custom CSS files and code for everything you want to do)...

For example, I'm using the Requiem template and want to change the colour of the two main navigation icons either side of the menu, but can't find where to do it except obviously, by doing something with a CSS file external to the backend.

Can anyone give me a bit of info on this?

P.S - I have found the "Styles" area in the Template Manager, but it only lets me change the colour for the whole section - I'm looking to change the colour of specific positions inside the section.

Happy if you want to move this post to a more appropriate area of the forum if I've posted in the wrong place...

Thanks!
      Sarah
    • Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by GSC_itsupport. Reason: Additional comments
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Gantry 5 - Layout Customisation

• So for a lot of things changing the color values on your Styles tab will effect the Particle output... pay attention to your Base and Accent Colors... sometimes the theme will derive a slightly different color based of a calculation of those values even if it's not using them directly.

At the Particle level you can play around with Variations on the Block Settings tab:

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/layout-manager#settings-2

or try the Variations and Classes in Requiem: demo.rockettheme.com/live/joomla/requiem...res/block-variations

Here, however, CSS really is going to be the best way forward I think

In Chrome (basically the same as in Mozilla, I prefer Chrome) right click on that Home icon and go to Inspect

You'll see a <span class="g-iconmenu-icon fa fa-home fa-fw"></span> tag highlighted in your Elements pane and off the right in the Style pane you'll see:
      .g-home #g-navigation .g-iconmenu .g-iconmenu-icon, .g-homepositions #g-navigation .g-iconmenu .g-iconmenu-icon {
          color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.75);
      }

just copy+paste that CSS and change the color value

There are several ways you can add custom CSS into Gantry 5:

On the Base Outline or Per Outline Level:

Page Settings > Assets
      Page Settings > Atoms

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/page-settings#assets
      docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/page-settings#custom-css-js

or at a global custom file level

[template-name]/custom/scss/custom.scss

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/adding-a-custom-style-sheet
    • The following users have thanked you: GSC_itsupport

• SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
  • Re: Gantry 5 - Layout Customisation

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and thank you for the information! It's really helpfull!

I've just given some of your suggestions a test run and am found that even though I changed the colouring for the navigation section using the 'Styles' section in Gantry Admin and that all seemed to go ok, except for that something seems to be stopping the change in the frontend... I can see my changes using the inspection tool, but some are being overridden by CSS or are just being ignored as I can't see any styling in th insepctor...

Also, if I want to apply the same settings to my (for example) navigation area on all pages would I need to adjust all outlines in use to have the same values?

For example, my homepage is using the Reqium Home - Positions outline, while the other pages I'm planning on building in will be using the Base outline... If I want my nagivation area to have a transparent background and #333 colour value on all pages should I apply these styles to both outlines?

Thanks so much again!
      Sarah
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Correct, the template will override some core Gantry settings/styling... that's what templates do to give each release a fresh look and design so in some instances you will have to write CSS to override the template's styling.

Your also correct on how to go about applying styles to different Outlines... you should set your Default styles on the Base Outline's Style tab so that they'll be used everywhere. Then, as you want something different on a per page or per outline basis you would override the style from that given Outline's style tab.

That's for styles... for Particles and their settings you can actually inherit from one Outline to another. Check that out here: Inheritance
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply!

So now that I have applied my preferred styling for my navigation position in both my Base Outline and the Home - Positions Outline and am not seeing any results (although the inspection tool shows the new changes) I am guessing the changes I made to the Outlines in the admin section are being ignored or overridden somewhere I can't see...?
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

I am guessing now, that I need to write the code into the custom.scss file instead?
      If so, are you able to advise on how best to add the code?

Currently, my custom.scss file looks like this:
      // Gantry 5 custom CSS file

/* HEADER */
      #g-header .g-container { 
        margin-top: -93px; 
      }

/* RESPONSIVE BREAKPOINTS */
      // import breakpoints
      @import "dependencies";

// Typical values are the default breakpoints set in Gantry 5
      // but these values are user definable in style settings
      // so that is why the code below uses mixins to get the actual 
      // values from Gantry 5 template.

// commonly used media queries

//  typically min 75rem 
      @include breakpoint(large-desktop-range) {

}
      // typically range 60rem to 74.938rem 
      @include breakpoint(desktop-range) {

}

// typically 48rem to 59.938rem
      @include breakpoint(tablet-range) {

}
      // typically 30rem to 47.938rem
      @include breakpoint(large-mobile-range) {

}
      // typically max 30rem
      @include breakpoint(small-mobile-range) {

}

// Less commonly used media queries

// typically min 60rem
      @include breakpoint(desktop-only) {

}
      // typically min 48rem
      @include breakpoint(no-mobile) {

}
      // typically max 47.938 rem
      @include breakpoint(mobile-only) {
        #g-navigation .mainnav-left .g-iconmenu-item {
          display: block;
          position: absolute;
          top: 0.8rem;
          left: 1rem;
        }

#g-navigation .mainnav-right .g-iconmenu-item {
        	display: block;
        	position: absolute;
          top: 0.8rem;
          right: 1rem;
        }

.g-homepositions #g-header {
          padding-top: 4rem;
        }
      }
      // typically max 59.938rem
      @include breakpoint(no-desktop) {
      	#g-header .g-container {
      	   margin-top: -24px;
      	}
      }

// Mobile Menu Breakpoint
      @media only all and (max-width: $breakpoints-mobile-menu-breakpoint) { 

}

@import "nucleus/mixins/breakpoints";

I have tried to add the code from the inspection screenshot above into my custom.scss file to see if that would override everything, but it didn't work either. It's showing up, just being ignored...
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

What have I missed?

Thanks again!
      Sarah
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• I would leave the media queries at the bottom of the file along with the mixins/breakpoints/ import... put all other custom css/scss above that... if you use any SCSS variables (there's a bunch in Gantry you can hook into) that code needs to be after the "dependencies" import

anytime you add/change something in that file you'll need to recompile CSS from the Styles tab of your Gantry 5 Dashboard... that's probably all you need to do here.

• Hi Matt,

Sorry, I'm ever so slightly confused... My CSS file (to me) seems like it's organised as you recommend above, but if there is anything out of whack, please let me know as I've obviously missed it!

As to the rest of my issue - I'm still not seeing results after changing the 'navigation' colours in both Gantry Admin and/or adding that code to the custom.scss file. I can see the code in the inspector, as if the site is calling it, but it seems to be ignoring it all on some level and I can't figure out where or why...

Can you offer any advice - at this point in time I am unable to change any colouring on the nav-bar (particularly the white text)...

Thanks,
      Sarah
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Ok, I see in your screenshot now...

#g-navigation

is less specific than

.g-homepositions #g-navigation

so

.g-homepositions #g-navigation

is winning

... your compiled custom.css file will load after the template's core settings so if you copy+paste exactly (.g-homepositions #g-navigation) you will win

worth a read: www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/07/css-spe...ngs-you-should-know/

:)
    • Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Matt.

• Ahhh! Now I get it! Specifics for the win :)

And yet, it still seems to be ignoring me. Am I missing another syntax?

Link is here again if you need it

Not only do I have the settings on in the Home - Positions Outline, I also have the same code listed in my custom.scss file and neither of them are working (although as before, you can see them in the Inspection)...

This is so weird for me to not be able to pinpoint this!
    • Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by GSC_itsupport.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do... just trying to follow your screen shots... looks like you're overriding yourself now

I'm headed to bed shortly, but I'll check back in the morning.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds