Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Particle: Joomla Articles Problems

• Glorious
    • Hero Rocketeer

Particle: Joomla Articles Problems

Posted 7 years 11 months ago
    • Hello,

Thank you RT for the Joomla Articles Particle, it solves a huge need for us. However, it appears to have some problems.

Firstly, when we click on the "Categories," the only ones available are "trashed" categories. Naturally, we do not want to display articles from trashed categories!

Nevertheless, the particle is pulling some articles from published categories, but with no obvious organization: we tried every sorting method we could (dates, ID etc) but it never shows the newest articles, only a few old ones. So, we are confused.

We hope this particle can indeed display the latest articles on our site, thanks again!
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: Particle: Joomla Articles Problems

• Glorious wrote:
      Thank you RT for the Joomla Articles Particle, it solves a huge need for us. However, it appears to have some problems.

Firstly, when we click on the "Categories," the only ones available are "trashed" categories. Naturally, we do not want to display articles from trashed categories!
      I'm assuming clicking on "Categories," you mean in the Admin. When I looked at the Categories page with the Status Filter set to "Select Status" I saw ALL your Categories.
      Glorious wrote:
      Nevertheless, the particle is pulling some articles from published categories, but with no obvious organization: we tried every sorting method we could (dates, ID etc) but it never shows the newest articles, only a few old ones. So, we are confused.

Hopefully a good explanation will clear some of the confusion up ;)
      The Page Content Particle does nothing but create a "placeholder" for the Joomla Main Body to sit in the template layout. So any display of articles and categories has NOTHING to do with the particle and EVERYTHING to do with Joomla.

You have some serious issues with your site :(
      In your Home menu item you had the menu-type set to "Featured Articles" but in your Article manager there are NO "Featured Articles" existing. This would cause no articles to appear in Joomla's Main Body.

The second reason why no articles would appear in Joomla's Main Body is that in the layout of the Home Positions(2) outline you had NO Page Content Particle which means Joomla's Main Body had nowhere to sit on that page. I created a Page Content Particle for you in the MainBar section.

So I wanted to create a Category Blog with test articles in a test Outline. When I checked one of your existing Outlines then clicked the Duplicate button all I got was this error message:

An error has occurred.
      404 Component not found.
      Return to Control Panel

This means one of your Joomla core files is corrupt which might also explain why I can't get the Joomla Main Body to appear.
    • Glorious
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Hi Dan,

Thanks for the thorough reply.

1. By categories, I meant the "categories" selector in the particle:

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

This one is only showing "Trashed" articles, so I cannot select any published categories. Yet, the articles the Particle displays on the front of the website are not Trashed, but are from published categories.

2. Your explanation about how the Particle works makes sense, thanks.

However:

a. I was able to get the Main Body content to appear on the Home page. I changed the Home menu item to list all articles, instead of just Featured. This had no visible effect on the Particle, however.

b. The Particle IS displaying articles, but it is unclear why it is displaying the ones that it is. As noted, the Particle categories selector only shows "Trashed" articles.

Regarding duplicating the Outlines, I have been duplicating them within Gantry: that works fine. When attempting to duplicate them in the Template Manager, it fails. I noted in Logman that there is a record for making the duplicate then deleting it. Not sure why. I overwrote the Joomla core files but this did not fix it.

Thanks!
    • Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Glorious.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Glorious wrote:
      Hi Dan,

Thanks for the thorough reply.

1. By categories, I meant the "categories" selector in the particle:

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

Oh Goodness! I never even realized we had that particle available. Okay I will try to replicate that and see if I can get the same issue as you.
    • Glorious
    • Hero Rocketeer

• I had a feeling we were talking about two different things! :)
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Glorious wrote:
      I had a feeling we were talking about two different things! :)

We were :blush:
      Before we proceed any further you have a little fix to implement. Go to Admin -> Extend or Extensions -> Extension Manager -> Database and if there are any errors then in the upper RH corner of the page, click the FIX button. Sometimes you have to do this twice.
    • Glorious
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Hi Dan,

Not sure how to solve the database issue. It says:
      Table '...#__banner_clients' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_clients` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
      Table '...#__banner_tracks' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_tracks` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
      Table '...#__banner_clients' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_clients` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
      Table '...#__banner_tracks' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_tracks` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
      Table '...#__banner_clients' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_clients` ADD KEY `idx_metakey_prefix` (`metakey_prefix`(100));
      The Joomla! Core database tables have not been converted yet to UTF-8 Multibyte (utf8mb4).

I ran the Fix a few times, it did not solve it. This issue is also in the live site. I presume it is unrelated to Gantry, etc.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Glorious wrote:
      Hi Dan,

Not sure how to solve the database issue. It says:
      Table '...#__banner_clients' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_clients` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
      Table '...#__banner_tracks' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_tracks` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
      Table '...#__banner_clients' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_clients` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
      Table '...#__banner_tracks' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_tracks` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_ci;
      Table '...#__banner_clients' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `#__banner_clients` ADD KEY `idx_metakey_prefix` (`metakey_prefix`(100));
      The Joomla! Core database tables have not been converted yet to UTF-8 Multibyte (utf8mb4).

I ran the Fix a few times, it did not solve it. This issue is also in the live site. I presume it is unrelated to Gantry, etc.

what Joomla version are you running now? If you want me to fix it then I need:

1) SuperAdmin logins
      2) the Database info
      3) an FTP account
    • Glorious
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Well, that is a very kind offer. I hope it is something easy to do.

Thank you!
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Glorious wrote:
      Well, that is a very kind offer. I hope it is something easy to do.

Thank you!

I would have been except for this:

Requirements for Supported Software
      Requirements for Joomla! 3.x
      Supported Databases:
      MySQL (InnoDB support required)5.5 +5.1 + http://www.mysql.com/

Most of your core Joomla tables are still the old engine type of MyISAM and not the required InnoDB. It's still possible to convert the tables but this exceeds the parameters of what we're allowed to do in this forum.

So your options are:
      1)
      Basically export your DB to your HDD and with something like Notepad++ do a Search for "ENGINE=MyISAM" and Replace with "ENGINE=InnoDB".

2)
      Pay somebody to do it

3)
      Give this a try -> http://www.suchmaschinen-optimierung-seo.org/seo-nachrichten/collation-and-engine-changer

Then run the FIX again.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds