Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Exporting Gantry 5 settings

• rikard0
    • Jr. Rocketeer

SOLVED Exporting Gantry 5 settings

Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • Hi,

I’ve read about the upcoming export feature of Gantry 5, and I know it’s planed.

But please could you tell us what’s the best way to make changes to a Gantry 5 test site and then apply the changes to a Gantry 5 live site?

Are the changes only stored in the template folder or in the DB also?

I’m asking because there are new registrations every day in the live site, but I’m making changes in the test site.

The live production site is on Gantry 4, I’d like to be able to apply the changes which I make in the Gantry 5 test site when I upgrade the live site ASAP.

Please advice?

Thank you,
      ricco
    • Never back down
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: SOLVED Exporting Gantry 5 settings

• changes are stored in the db...

how are you upgrading the Gantry 4 site to Gantry 5... I mean... if your test site is Gantry 5 and the live site is Gantry 4 the changes you're making are not the same and could not replicated manually nor by code anyways... so that part's throwing me off...
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • rikard0
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hi,

Thanks for answering.

I'm upgrading by unsalling Gantry 5 over Gantry 4. That's why I'm asking how to export the changes I've made in the Gantry 5 test site to the eventually upgraded Gantry 5 live site.

Do you mean that the changes cannot be exported no matter how and we have to install Gantry 5 and then make 2-3-4-5... days manuall changes to the live site?

Regards,
      ricco
    • Never back down
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• You cannot upgrade Gantry like that... they're 2 completely different extensions... Gantry 5 was built from scratch... Gantry 4 templates are not compatible with Gantry 5

You can certainly upgrade an existing Joomla site... you just need to install a Gantry 5 compatible template, then re-map all your Module Positions with Module Position Particles in Gantry 5

I mean... you could just Akeeba Backup your Test site and Launch it like brand new with Akeeba Kickstarter on empty/clean webspace... that's how I take test sites from local to live...

you're correct, Gantry 5 settings export is a feature that is coming soon/on the road map
    • Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Matt.
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • rikard0
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• OK, I see. Thank you.
    • Never back down
    • rikard0
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • It's been more than 2 weeks since we've started adjusting the new Gantry 5 test site and it's still not as we want it! How would we do all this new settings on a live site? Its seems impossible. Until you don't make a way to somehow transfer the Gantry 5 settings form a test to a live site we will not be upgrading! I can say that currently Gantry 5 is not suitable for bigger existing sites with many custom changes.

Please make an option to export the settings!
    • Never back down
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• This feature is being tracked here: github.com/gantry/gantry5/issues/218

and is on our roadmap: github.com/gantry/gantry5/wiki/Gantry-5-...tion-and-Time-Travel

As previously mentioned you can simply take your Dev Site live... which is what most folks do when migrating changes from dev sites to live sites... I use Akeeba Backup + Kickstarter for this
    • rikard0
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hi Matt,

Thank you again for the answer.

We know very well how to use Akeeba, but unfortunately it’s not so easy in our case as we have new registrations and new articles submissions on our current (Gantry 4) live site daily.

Could you tell us roughly when to expect the export/import functionality?

Best regards,
      ricco
    • Never back down
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• We don't have any explicit ETA... following that GitHub issue post is the best place for updates.

You could use J2XML to export your current users and articles and easily import them back in.
    • rikard0
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Once again thank you, but we are using a cck to construct the articles and Community Builder to manage the users, so I wouldn't think that J2XML will help.
    • Never back down

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds