Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Dropping Gantry 5

• Re: Dropping Gantry 5

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • 3 months ago I started this topic and I am somewhat surprised at what it has developed into. I have to admit I have not tried to tackle any of the new templates as they are Gantry 5 based but upon reading the posting a couple of spots up I am going to now take a look and see if I can function within it. That being said I still think Rockettheme is missing the boat on this one.

This topic is full of rocketeers defending their product instead of implementing change to fix it. In any business the customer drives the change not the company. If your customers are screaming about something you are trying to force on them then you have a problem.

I wish you all the luck but it's decision like these that sink companies like yours. Your management team needs to take a step back and reevaluate what you are asking your clients to do. Is your stubborness worth your business? It's a question every good business owner needs to ask themselves.

Good luck
    • The following users have thanked you: Zoran Kanti-Paul, netstepinc

• Richard,
      I am still failing to understand what exactly is that made it worst, uneasy and difficult for you. You started this thread 3 months ago but all you expressed was frustration and disappointment.

Since then you still haven't told us what it is not working for you. How can we improve Gantry 5 if we don't even know what the issues are?

9th of July was your post, let me give you a summary of what happened in the Gantry world since these 92 days have passed:
      1. We officially released Gantry 5.0.0 (July 13th) and 7 more releases, as of now, we are at 5.1.5
      2. With 5.1.0 we have integrated Wordpress support, an entire new platform. It might not be of interest for you or the Joomla only users, I get it, but there are a lot other users who were waiting for Wordpress and we delivered.
      3. Gitter Chat community has grown from 200 users to 534, making Gantry 5 the 3rd most popular PHP project in the whole Gitter community
      4. There are 1067 more commits
      5. There are roughly 50 more new features, other than an incredible amount of bugs fixed and improvements
      6. Over 300 issues have been handled, including questions, code contribution, bugs, suggestions
      7. We have outlined our goals with Gantry 5 for the future github.com/gantry/gantry5/wiki/Gantry-5-...tion-and-Time-Travel
      8. We are currently implementing 2 new big features: Page Settings and Simplification of the Layout files.

I really hope you can see that we ARE listening to the customer. Everything that we get reported, we address, whether it's a simple question, an idea, something that doesn't work. We just lack of mind reading capabilities, if you do not tell us the problems, in no possible way we can ever address it.
      I look back at our code implementations and I see in no way us being stubborn. Of all the requests that have been made, we probably implemented or planning to implement 90% of it. We are constantly listening to everyone using Gantry, the chatroom is incredibly active, the forum posts in here are always looked at. All it takes from you is to let us know, that is it.

Good luck.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Djamil Legato.
    • / Djamil Legato / Lead Developer /

• Kat05 wrote:
      TownHall wrote:
      ... assigning modules to menu items now takes double the work, and then they still aren't truly part of the Joomla page or CMS.
      Hi there,

I'd like to disagree. :)

Take a core Joomla site and install one of our Gantry 5 templates to it. Then simply remove any outlines other than the default outline and make sure that there are no other templates assigned to any of your pages (this is what you would do with any other non-gantry or Gantry 4 template too). Now go to the Layouts tab and click the 'Load' button. Choose for example 'Gantry 4'. This will add a selection of module positions that you've all known and used with our Gantry 4 templates.

Then go to the Module manager and start creating modules and assigning them to certain present Gantry 4 positions and any menu items you wish to show them on. This process is no different to any other template.

The difference with Gantry 5 is that it does not come with a limited number of module positions that you're restricted to. So you can use any of the provided layouts, such as the Gantry 4 layout as a base and then add more module positions on the fly according to your needs. This will be done by dragging and dropping new module positions or module instances to existing sections in the Layout manager.

Anything that you could do in Joomla using Gantry 4 in regards to modules is still possible with Gantry 5, we just added a lot more functionality and options that you can use but you don't have to.

Kat :)

IS this in the Gantry 5 documentation? If so I missed this entirely..

Are you saying I can choose my CURRENT Gantry 4 template layout and convert that to gantry 5?
    • Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Zoran Kanti-Paul.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Dropping Gantry 5

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Dropping Gantry 5

• How about the answer I gave here http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/gantry5-for-joomla/248081-it-pains-me-to-write-this?start=10#1241819 .

It's really not helpful posting the same questions in three different topics either. Please ask as many questions as you like and we'll be very happy to assist you, but please please do keep to the one topic rather than three otherwise it gets very confusing for everyone.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Scott wrote:
      Im leaving it with my last 2 customers of many. I showed them 2 setups ... one RT + Gantry5 and your cometition with a very easy extension that acts very much like Gantry that is built for idiots. They have choosen your competition for ease of use even though they understood the poower of Gantry.
      Which Gantry competitor did you use for these other two sites?
    • "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

• Richard Parks wrote:
      This topic is full of rocketeers defending their product instead of implementing change to fix it. In any business the customer drives the change not the company. If your customers are screaming about something you are trying to force on them then you have a problem.
      I think it's well within RocketTheme's right to do whatever they want with their framework. I suppose those of us who don't like the changes are in the minority. Only time will tell. In a year or two, RT's outside the box thinking may make them bigger than ever or...not.

I applaud innovation and creative problem solving.
      The main issue is, that RT solved a bunch of problems I didn't have.

In the process, the efficient and streamlined business I built with Gantry4 powered templates is in a holding pattern until I have the time rework my entire symlink master/slave architecture.

In the mean time, I'm just making due with the G4 templates, and regardless of if I end up using G5 or not, I will never trust one company with my future. Naturally, RT is looking out for it's own best interest...and that doesn't line up with the best interest of my company.
      Diversification is necessary for survival. Lesson learned.
    • "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

• Guys,
      we do appreciate all your feedbacks, positive and negative. We hear you and no matter what you decide to do, we will continue to improve Gantry 5 and evalutate all the feedbacks received.

We are sorry if Gantry 5 didn't meet your expectations, we know it's an all new product and we know it takes a learning curve. It was the same with Gantry v1 (now Gantry v4), that we all got used to love so much to not let it go.

We put a lot of thoughts, dedication and heart into Gantry 5 and we think we are going the right direction. If you want to continue the journey with us, you can follow Gantry 5 evolment via the Blog , GitHub , this forum and the Gitter Chat .

Any issue, feedback, question, feel free to ask in this forum or by opening an issue on GitHub or ask in our chat , we will make sure to address each and everyone of them.

With all this said, I don't feel like this thread is adding anything anymore to Gantry 5. It is well off topic, it hasn't become productive in any way for us to help you and quite frankly, I don't think it's fair to us to start talking about competitors in here.

Productive feedbacks, whether they are positive or negative, are more than welcome, this topic has gone too far and so I'm going to close it.

Thank you!
    • / Djamil Legato / Lead Developer /

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds