Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry 5 questions

• SOLVED Gantry 5 questions

Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    • Hi all

no special category in your forum concerning Gantry 5 ?

I have a look on your new framework and i'm impressive and i learn ....
      main issue for web developper I see, should be if you want to change your template in an existing website using gantry 5 !!

3 questions

1) in particle "module", it is on pipe to select the module like Gantry 5 menu option (now you have to know your id or your position)?

2) If you select a module by ID or position for a special menu assignement in Gantry 5. What is the priority, menu assignement of joomla module or menu assignement of Gantry 5 module particle

2) Should be possible in futur to have an html editor like rokpad or JCE in particle "custom html" and also enarge the popup

thanks

Bertrand
    • www.en-toutes-lettres.fr
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 questions

• No - not yet because Gantry 5 is still release candidate. https://gitter.im/gantry/gantry5

1. Sorry I don't understand your question please can you rephrase it.

2. Are you referring to "module instance" particle? Module instance particle will take module with specific ID and put it into the layout (what ever position might be assigned in joomla - the position it might state is ignored). a "module position" particle allow you to put a position anywhere in your layout and call it what you wish (e.g. "pascal-a") then in joomla module manager you can assign any module to that position (it will appear in joomla template position dropdown). There is much less need to use modules in Gantry 5 - there is for example a particle called "custom HTML" which would be equivalent to joomla's own "customHTML module".

2. (second one :) ) Yes, that's the plan to have Gantry 5 pick up the editor from joomla config and use that - can't say when though.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry 5 questions

• Hi

thanks and sorry for my english

Do be more clear for question 1

In menu editor we can pick a module to put it into the menu and also use serch tool, great

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

It is not possible do that in a module particle. We can only choose module by ID or position, not easy
      possible to have in futur a module particle with this option ?

Concerning question 2, "Crazy" question but important concerning new way of building your web site

i made the test

In my main menu I have 3 menus, Home, menu-a and menu-b

If in joomla module management I assign a module, ID=1 to a menu-a
      If in Gantry5, in module instance particle, I select module ID=1 but assign this particle to menu-b
      the module is not display
      ==> Joomla module assignement has priority / Gantry particle menu assignement
      Logical but i wanted to be sure

A last question (i don't think so ;=)
      If we create particle for Hyfrogen template following doc
      docs.gantry.org/gantry5/advanced/creating-a-new-particle

we have today only one instance particle in hydrogen template

the way of managing them will not change in futur ?
      No pb if i create particle for hydrogen template, but this particle will not work due to Gantry5 or Hydrogen template update

thanks again for your great work

take care

Bertrand
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• 1. I raised a ticket on Git for your suggestion regarding the module picker - it seemed like a good idea to me - so thanks :) https://github.com/gantry/gantry5/issues/345

2a. Yes, you contrived an odd situation there and put joomla at odds with gantry 5 - joomla prevailed.

2b. In the future we will add the ability to export and import particles, yes. But it's not there now.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Hi Mark & entire team, great work! The new Gantry 5 user interface and workflow to layout and configure layout items is closer to the Adobe Muse UI than to the Joomla origins, plus it still allows to include the well structured and dynamic Joomla content where needed.
      It gives in general more fun to work with, it invites to play with the less-strict page design. At the same time, it was easy to achieve a page speed grade of 83 % (based on gtmetrix.com/ ), wow!

After one day of learning and almost one day for configuration & content my first Gantry 5-Callisto page is ready to go live.

My experience after 2 days:

1) It took me a while to understand the difference between the new, important BASE OUTLINE (where the layout work should always start) and the default template. (Perhaps the Base Outline could be more emphasized in Gantry Doc.)

2) The System Templates "Error" (and "Offline") could easily been overlocked, what could give embarrasing moments because of the dummy text.

3) The difference between editing particle settings in the "Settings Tab" and in the Layout Tab of the same template is still not clear to me. Currently I have one particle with a check mark in the particle settings and without a check mark in its layout configuration (clicking to the gear-wheel). Are they not looking at the same data?

4) Due to a reason I don't know, after moving the final site to the original server, the Australian Parks logo appeared there on the contact page, and it was really shown as locally selected there in Gantry Admin panel. In another page, the logo path was pointing to an old position as well. Easy to repair, but perhaps not easy to understand? I still have the .jpa file for analysis.
      Edit => Perhaps this was my fault. Seems to be related to 3). Does the Layout tab overwriting the (particle) setting tab?

5) The site runs very stable. But IF the site is further speed-tuned with JOTCACHE, NoNumberCacheCleaner and JCH Optimize Pro (MIN setting), Joomla System GZIP=ON, I can provoke the following error message after plugin activation that I do not know from similar sites with Gantry 4.
      This happens on two different servers, can be my misconfiguration, but anyway the messages below are pointing to

BadMethodCallException thrown with message "Cache path not defined for compiled files!"

Stacktrace:
      #13 BadMethodCallException in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/gantry5/classes/Gantry/Component/File/CompiledFile.php:47
      #12 Gantry\Component\File\CompiledYamlFile:content in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/gantry5/classes/Gantry/Component/Theme/ThemeDetails.php:35
      #11 Gantry\Component\Theme\ThemeDetails:__construct in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/gantry5/classes/Gantry/Framework/Base/ThemeTrait.php:318
      #10 Gantry\Framework\Base\Theme:details in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/gantry5/classes/Gantry/Framework/Base/ThemeTrait.php:374
      #9 Gantry\Framework\Base\Theme:__set in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/gantry5/classes/Gantry/Framework/Theme.php:66
      #8 Gantry\Framework\Theme:renderer in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/gantry5/classes/Gantry/Framework/Theme.php:80
      #7 Gantry\Framework\Theme:render in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/templates/rt_callisto/offline.php:32
      #6 require in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/joomla/document/html/html.php:578
      #5 JDocumentHTML:_loadTemplate in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/joomla/document/html/html.php:635
      #4 JDocumentHTML:_fetchTemplate in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/joomla/document/html/html.php:455
      #3 JDocumentHTML:parse in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/cms/application/cms.php:1045
      #2 JApplicationCms:render in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/cms/application/site.php:729
      #1 JApplicationSite:render in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/libraries/cms/application/cms.php:258
      #0 JApplicationCms:execute in /www/htdocs/w01340fb/schoenwaelders.de/maske/index.php:40

I can provide some more details if needed. For now I have switched of the cache plugins, staying just with JCH optimizier, and it runs perfect so far!

Edit: 6) No Gantry, but Callisto issue: Is there someone that can open joomla menu items of type "external URL" (internal or external item) in new window with navigation? Target="_blank" attribut is not rendered.

Thanks for that gigantic work!
      Best regards
      Hendrik
    • Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Philipp Koehler. Reason: 4) solved

• Another friend in my topic, welcome

sure, Base Outline, is very empiric also for me

another question

why i can see, showcase, feature and subfeature positions only on home template/preset (i don't know what is the name) ?

I don't know how to create a home page including showcase and side bar ?

thanks

Bertrand
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Philipp Koehler - thanks for the feedback - I'll try and answer your points. But answering multiple people in the same topic is going to make this topic awfully long and disjointed - so if you can raise a new topic next time it will make it easier for everyone.

1. "base outline" is sort of like "MASTER" in gantry 4 - it does a lot more of course but the analogy holds true.

2. Why is the text "embarrassing"? I check and I don't think there is anything contentious in there? Also those outlines are a lot easier to find than they ever were in Gantry 4 - at least they are in the outlines dropdown list.

3. the settings tab changes the setting for the particle - if you change them there every instance will get those settings when they are dragged onto the layout. Once they are on the layout - if you tick them then you are saying that you want to "override" these setting with different settings. So, then you would only get the settings specifically specified in that particle for that particular layout.

The settings tab can also be completed in different outlines and overridden for that outline too. So if you wanted a setting to apply through your site (let's say your logo) then you would do that in the settings tab in the "base outline". You could then override that in the settings tab for another particular outline (ticking values). Once dragged onto a layout your could then override that paticle instance with different settings again (ticking values). So... Gantry 5 gives you a lot of flexibility to make a setting apply to the whole of your site, a particular page (outline), or a particular instance of a particle.

4. I think this will be related to 3 above - check the settings and overrides.

5. RT doesn't support third-party products. That said, all of these caching plugins have to have their settings customised to be appropriate for your particular server environment. The same was true in gantry 4 with the same plugins. When I can ghet a moment though I will try some of these plugins to see if there is anything we need to do to Gantry 5. I would also add that Gantry 5 is built from the ground up for speed so the necessity to be using these plugins may have be obviated.

6. The target of a menu item is set in the Gantry 5 menu editor (see screenshot).

Regards, Mark.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Pascal Bertrand -

Don't get yourself confused. You're talking about "module positions" which you actually only need if you want to publish joomla modules to them. Gantry 5 has Sections (which may or may not contain "module position" particles).

The outlines shown in your screenshot are presets (starting points of common styling and layouts). Once you have chosen one of those you can then further configure the styling and layout to give you what you want. So you could pick any of those outlines and then drag a module position particle onto any of those layouts and call it anything you like (like showcase-a). There is a good starting point for this already though called "joomla gantry 4" and other variations of that too (some of these are only present in callisto though).

If you want a layout with a sidebar then you could use the "2 column" layout or "Joomla - Gantry4 - right".

Regards, Mark.

• Thanks

maybe i confuse myself
      I think too much about Gantry4 way of working and i try to make a comparison

my last comparison about Gantry4/Gantry5
      The way I'm working in Gantry 4 concerning css are few modification of less (if i can) using -custom.less then main modifications using custom.css

in gantry 5, as far i can see all css modif should be done in custom.scss file ?

In which file custum.scss and other default scss files are loaded ?

thakks

Bertrand
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• You make all custom changes in a custom.scss file yes. You need not concern yourself about the origin of the other css - all you need to do is look at your site using one of the developer tools and create a Custom CSS override for the element that you wish to restyle (the same was true with Gantry 4 and LESS). The scss in Gantry 5 comes from serveral locations and files (prime location is /templates/rt_callisto/scss though). Gantry 5 doesn't use LESS.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds