Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

widgets gone after switching theme

• Danny

widgets gone after switching theme

Posted 9 years 8 months ago
    • Server Details (Linux/Windows, Hosting service, etc)xampp 1.8.1 (apache 2.4.3, mySQL 5.5.27)
      PHP version5.4.7
      Platform (name and version)wordpress 3.9.1, gantry 4.1.2
      Template/Extension (name and version)Fresco
      Link to the Issuenone. Issue also occurred on a live server with other specs, older wp version, and the gantry theme

Hi,

This is a follow-up from wordpress.org/support/topic/re-activation-bug

Please read it, then read this:

First of all... I have decided to give the framework a try and bought a theme. Please tell me why there was no response at all on the WP forum when I made an effort to report a serious bug, basically crippling an entire website.

The bug is still there in v4.1.2 and should be fixed asap. In fact, in some earlier version the removed widgets where still present in the deactivated widgets section. In the latest version, they're not.

Please note following:

1. the 3rd message on the above-mentioned wp page is the current behaviour, ie. the bugs occurs even when gantry remains activate

2. the bug only affects widgets from the default settings, and of course the overrides inheriting them. Custom widgets added to the overrides are all still there, as far as I can tell. EDIT: further testing showed overrides can be affected too

3. after loosing the widgets I used gantry export and import plugin and I found the content from some text widgets I had added just before loosing them. So they are still in the DB... they're only MIA. Perhaps gantry is looking for them in the wrong place.

Please fix it yesterday!

Danny
    • Last Edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Danny.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: widgets gone after switching theme

• Strict Standards warnings are not errors, bugs, or even invalid code... the are just warnings that are often generated from code written for older versions of PHP that still work just fine with the latest and greatest PHP Library

"EDIT: this behaviour seems to only occur when addthis[3.5.8] is active. Plugin doesn't seem to work with gantry anyway, but still indicates a problem that should be fixed."

So you do not have this behavior when that plugin is not installed, correct?

The gantry import/export plugin is not a RocketTheme plugin... it was made by a 3rd party developer...
    • Last Edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Matt.
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Danny

• Thanks for the strict standards info. They are not really an issue (they were just bugging me at that time).

Re the addthis plugin: I have that behaviour when addthis plugin is not active. I am not sure the behaviour disappears when that plugin is removed, but I will retest that.

And I'm aware the gantry export/import plugin is a 3rd party plugin. It's not the cause of the problem. I only mentioned it because its export file revealed the settings are still there somewhere.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• thank you for the details, let us know how it goes.
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Danny

• Ok, did some testing. Here's what I did:

Procedure 1: switch to a non-gantry theme, then back to the gantry theme. Gantry framework stays enabled

Procedure 2: switch to a non-gantry theme, visit a webpage, then switch back to gantry theme. Framework stays enabled

Procedure 3: switch to a non-gantry theme, deactivate gantry framework, switch back to gantry theme, visit a webpage (get message that framework must be enabled), re-enable framework

And the results:
      addthis plugin*procedureresult
      not installed1OK
      not installed2OK
      not installed3widgets lost
      installed, but inactive1OK
      installed, but inactive2OK
      installed, but inactive3widgets lost
      installed and active1widgets lost
      installed and active2widgets lost
      installed and active3widgets lost

* not only addthis is causing trouble when installed and active. Also wordpress SEO is triggering the bug, and who knows what other plugins. I did not see this bug with "procedure 1" when I first reported missing widgets on wordpress.org, so it got introduced between gantry 4.0.8 and 4.1.1.

I tested on the single install and a multisite install and results are the same. Also, on the multisite I did see overrides with checkmarks, but without content (I did not check every override before testing.. it's possible the content was already deleted)

The multisite install is live, so I can give the programmers access to it for testing.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Thanks for a detail, I'm glad there's a workaround and working scenarios for you. I'll capture this information for our devs to have a look at.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to Matt, moderators and administrators
    • Danny

• Yeah, well from the glass is half full perspective... there's workarounds, but 1 quick theme switch without thinking and poof.

I just noted that when switching back to a gantry-based theme, and deactivate the conflicting plugins just prior to that, then I don't loose the widgets, so that's another workaround I guess.
    • Last Edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Danny. Reason: clarification
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• yeah... I mean I can sorta see where switching themes, deactivating Gantry, etc, could cause it to lose the settings... it may even be known/by design so as not to conflict with the new theme trying to store certain information... just conjecture... if it were me, I'd simply backup the site prior to switching themes, just to know I could restore the backup if needed... backing-up frequently has saved my rear on more than a few occassions

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds