• Tine

Creating new positions with columns that span multiple rows

Posted 7 years 2 months ago
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Creating new positions with columns that span multiple rows

• Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and i'll have a look for you.

Please do a screenshot of your problem and annotate to make it clear.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Tine

• Hi!

I cannot give you an access to the site since I have it installed localy. I am attaching a pic to give you an idea of what I would like to achive. So, header line would now consist of two rows, where first column span both rows and includes logo.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• You shouldn't need a new position for that - assign the social module to the same position as the search module.

I'd really need to be able to see your site live to be able to help further.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Tine

• Hey, Mark! I would love to give you account for logging into my web site, but it is not yet accessible from the outside unfortunately.
      Yes, you are right! I can't believe I wasn't thinking about using the same position for multiple modules. My fault. But still, I would have to choose which position in the header row will hold my custom module (social toolbar). The first option is to put it eather into header-b or header-c position. The with might get adjusted, but then neighbor position will sift (attachment: ss1.jpg). Second option is to use only two positions for the header (header-a, header-b) and put all three modules into header-b position. I tried that but then nav.bar and search are aligned verticaly, not horizontaly any more. If I add social toolbar module, all modules will be stacked on one another. If there is nice and easy way to align modules using built in css classes, that would be great. Third option is to use custom layout of some kind, where new position is formed just bellow header-b and header-c positions, spaning all of their columns (attachment: ss3.jpg). This is the toughest one, I guess.

I think second option would do just fine if I had some tools to align modules.

Thank you for your support!

Regards, Tine
    • Tine

• I think I've got it. I am using only header-a (logo) and header-b (top menu or nav. bar, search, social toolbar) position. I added class suffixes to all three modules: .search, .topmenu, .social_toolbar (without the dot when you type it into "module class suffix" filed). I added these custom css lines:

.horizmenu.topmenu { width: 60%; float: left; }
      .hidden-phone.search { float: right; }
      div.social_toolbar { clear: both; border: 1px solid red; float: right; width: 100%; }
      div.social_toolbar .module-surround { padding: 0px 10px 0px 0px; }

I am attaching the result.

Is this the right way to do it?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• If it works then I guess that is fine. But I would urge you to check that it's ok in all viewport sizes.

Regards, Mark.
    • Tine

• Yes, it works with different view sizes. What I have noticed is that the search filed disappears in narrower view. I am using responsive design.
    • Tine

• KHm.. ok... I see .. I suppose it is because of the .hidden-phone class attached.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• yes it is.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds