Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry5 language files so small ???

• Gantry5 language files so small ???

Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    • At first, congratulations for Gantry 5! Thank you all Gantry Team guys.

Today I tried to translate Gantry 5 into my native language (zh-CN). But I noticed that the language file for gantry 5 only contains
      several lines.

When I compared this with Gantry 4, I can't believe that this language file is complete: Gantry 4 language file contains more than 200 lines!

Does this mean that you have not complete the language file for Gantry 5 ?

Or did I choose a wrong way to translate Gantry 5 ?

Thank you.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Gantry5 language files so small ???

• Language is coming...

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/basics/roadmap#500-release

Are you trying to translate the Admin or something on the Front End?
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
  • Re: Gantry5 language files so small ???

• Yes, I was tring to translate the Admin part of Gantry. - I mean translating the user interface of Gantry 5 itself, not the Joomla CMS core.

Hope you will put all those static language strings into the language file, so we can have complete translation for Gantry.

Thank you.

Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    • Today I tried to translate Gantry 5 v5.0.12, but the language files are still NOT complete! So many static strings on the Admin part of Gantry 5 were not included in the language file!

Why you are always so reluctant when making language files for your extensions? How can users in other language to use these extensions if we can not completely translate them?
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• When I talking "language" I did NOT mean multi-language website, just the language files of Gantry 5 itself. Even a single language website, if not in English, it also needs Gantry 5 to show the Gantry Administration page in the same non-English language.

The total language keys in the file en-GB.com_gantry5.ini is less than 150, that is to say, many many other language strings on the backend Gantry Administration page were NOT included in the language file, so they can NOT be translated!

Could you please just think again for those non-English language Joomla users?
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• Github is definitely the best place to follow development for, and post issues/suggestions/improvements for Gantry 5. I'll ask around about this topic myself. I'm not a developer, 150 variables sounds like it would cover a lot.... you'd mentioned G4 had around 200. I'll see what I can find out and I'll poke around Github and Gitter myself a bit.
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • I was too busy to reply this topic. Today I updated Gantry 5 and Hydrogen template to the latest version on my testing Joomla installation. Then I noticed that the language files are STILL not complete. Very very very bad!!!

See attached screenshot you will know how poor the language files are !!!

Note: this screenshot is only one Tab of that settings page. In fact, every Tab has the same problem: only very few strings can be translated via the language files, many others were NOT included in the language files!!!

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Posted 8 years 4 weeks ago
    • Have you had a chance to check/test the most current Gantry release/language file?

Posted 8 years 4 weeks ago
    • Today I tried the most recent version, v5.2.13 of Gantry on Joomla 3.4.8, the language file en-GB.com_gantry5.ini only contains 132 lines of language Keys.

That is not enough to translate the whole backend of Gantry 5 Framework user interface strings.

For example, the "Base Background" string was not in any language file.

I also noticed that there is a folder named "translations" in the install package of Gantry5, but that folder was NOT copied to server when installing Gantry5.

It seems that Gantry5 is still very bad on support for multi-lingual website.

Please improve language files ASAP.

Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds