Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

How to update Fontawesome 4.2 - Tutorial

• How to update Fontawesome 4.2 - Tutorial

Posted 9 years 4 months ago
    • Hi people, here goes a step-by-step tutorial of how to update your template icons to Fontawesome 4.2.
      Before start, make a backup of your site files, this has worked for me, but maybe won't work for you.

1. Update your Gantry version in Joomla Admin > Extensions > Template Manager > Styles (pick your template) > Overview > Update (on right side of page).
      2. Download de last version of Fontawesome: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/
      3. Extract the ZIP file to your computer.
      4. Open the the fonts directory from the download and copy all 5 files to replace the existing files in:
      /libraries/gantry/assets/jui/fonts/font-awesome4/
      5. Open the less directory from the download and copy all 13 files to replace the existing files in:
      /libraries/gantry/assets/jui/less/font-awesome4/
      6. Open the variables.less file from step 5 folder and at line 4 find the following code:
      @fa-font-path:        "../fonts";
      7. Replace it with:
      @fa-font-path:        "../../../libraries/gantry/assets/jui/fonts/font-awesome4";
      8. Open the ../less/global.less file of your template.
      9. Find:
      (Old templates)
      @import "jui/less/font-awesome.less";
      (New templates)
      @import "jui/less/font-awesome/font-awesome.less";
      10. Replace it with:
      @import "jui/less/font-awesome4/font-awesome.less";

And that's all!

After all, remember to clear the cache in Joomla Admin > System > Clear Cache to get new icons working.

And remember to use "fa fa-ICONNAME" instead of "icon-ICONNAME".
      For example: "fa fa-rss", "fa fa-facebook", etc.

Here is the list of all icons:
      http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/

Credits to David Goode and Kat05

I hope this can help someone! =)
    • Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Marco Feitosa.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hola789432, Zulima

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: How to update Fontawesome 4.2 - Tutorial

• Re: How to update Fontawesome 4.2 - Tutorial

• I think this kind of thing should be public, because it's not a specific issue that requires specific support from you.
      Since it's a limitation of your templates, this should be disponibilized for us who have subspricption already expired and want to update a simple icons package. Like it was on Kat05's post with Fontawesome 3.2.
      I hope you guys consider that, because maybe my tutorial isn't the best or even the right way for doing that.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• The link I have provided is in "general joomla questions" which is a public forum.

It's not a limitation - the fontawesome provided with the template is generally the most up-to-date at the time that template was developed. If subsequently fontawesome update their product then, yes, you have to update it - I don't see how this is a limitation of our product at all?

I will suggest though that perhaps out documentation can be updated rather than providing these tutorials in the forum.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Sorry, but when I click your link this is what I see:

403 Forbidden
      You do not have permissions to access this page.

If it is public, then what is happening?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• MrT wrote:
      I will suggest though that perhaps out documentation can be updated rather than providing these tutorials in the forum.
      I have raised a ticket for this as I said I would.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • DirtySnipe
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • ICT Manager

Posted 9 years 1 week ago
    • Followed this for 4.3 but cannot get it to work.

Any ideas?

nvm my mistake i forgot to use a double fa
    • Last Edit: 9 years 1 week ago by DirtySnipe.

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • Have we resolved the 403 forbidden issue? I too have been a twice over subscriber and find that locking out a forum isn't the most ethical way to approach support. This is burned into our templates and being that it is third party and you chose it, you owe it to us to post a response that fixes the template we purchased.

• MrT, you have 47,000 posts. I don't think you have to ask for permission here. Thanks.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Thaddeus Roman -

1. You are posting in a topic that is over a year old - presumably you're doing this because ...
      2. Your subscription has expired. Support and updates requires that you have a current subscription.
      3. You don't have permission to access that link because your subscription has expired. Access to the majority of forums is only granted whilst you have a valid current subscription. You can continue to use the template that you purchased for as long as you wish, however the subscription that you purchase does not entitle you to support or to the latest template updates.
      4. We now offer "lifetime" purchase of templates that does entitle you to support and template updates forever. Currently we have special offers running that offer these at a much discounted rate.
      5. I'm not sure what the relevance is to my number of posts?
      6. We do not "owe it to you" to "fix" the template you purchased - you did not purchase the "lifetime" template package. In any case what you are wanting to do is to upgrade Fontawesome - this is not a "fix". Please read out "terms of service" that you signed up to as part of your purchase (link at bottom of the page).

Our priority is always to support our paying membership.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds