Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Need to "hide" a static page

• Need to "hide" a static page

Posted 14 years 1 month ago
    • Hi there,

I'm setting up a Wordpress site with Afterburner and I'm hitting a bit of snag.

I'm trying to use Wordpress for a static page-based website and the usual trick of hiding the static-home page under sub-sub-pages isn't working and I'm loath to mess with the code without some guidance.

Can anyone give me a hand/pointer? I need the home page to be a static one.

Be seeing you,

Aberto2k
  • Re: Need to "hide" a static page

• Hi Alessandro,

Can you please explain it in other words? I don't know what exactly you got on your mind by saying that you want to place your home page under sub pages ?

Jakub
    • Remember to always post a link to the site you're having problem with.

• Hello Jakub,

You're right I wasn't very clear - let me try that again. First some background.

I usually use Joomla! to create sites that require a CMS - but I've been getting requests to use Wordpress in creating simple home-business sites so I've taken on a friends site as an experiment - my challenges are Bi-Lingual (English/French), online catalogue (using WP-ECommerce from Instinc), Fast (hence the Afterburner) and the blogging aspect as a secondary page rather than the front page. I'm not new to WP - but I've never ever customized WP beyond installing a theme or widget or two - so it's safe to consider me a noob.

So I'm trying to use wordpress/afterburner to create a web-site whose HOME page isn't the BLOG -problem is when you do that you get a doubling of the static page.

For example - if I point the HOME page to a WELCOME page I created using the Settings - I'll get on my navigation two buttons, HOME and WELCOME that will be referring to the same page.

Now - I've been told that I could "bury" the WELCOME page under 2 or three-levels of sub-pages and I'll be fine - provided the Theme doesn't display those sub-pages by default. However that doesn't seem to work in Afterburner - as it will show those sub-pages by default.

I really want to use Afterburner for this and I'm hoping someone on this forum can tell me how I can suppress that or even suggest another method rather than using this sub-page work around (which isn't very elegant).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

AB

Alessandro Bertolucci
      ~Marketing & Design

• Hi Allesandro,

There's no need to redirect home button to the other page to swap the frontpage with static page. You can go to the WordPress admin dashboard > Settings > Reading and change the 'Front page displays' to : 'A static page (select below) ' and choose the Page for your Front page. This will make the home button to work like a link to the chosen page.

In case you'd like to exclude a page from the menu please open header.php from your theme directory, find this code :
      $my_pages = wp_list_pages('echo=0&title_li=&link_before=<span>&link_after=</span>');
      and replace it with this one :
      $my_pages = wp_list_pages('echo=0&title_li=&link_before=<span>&link_after=</span>&exclude=ID');
      where the ID is the Page ID of the page that you wish to exclude.

Jakub :)

• Hello Jakub,

Thank you - the script was precisely what I was looking for. However I'm still getting the duplicate page on the left-side menu.

Is there a similar script to exclude a page from that navigation?

Thank you,

Alessandro

• Hi Alessandro,

Should be the same, please just use it on sidebar-left.php and sidebar-page.php files from your theme directory.

Jakub

• Hello Jakub,

I just wanted to thank you again for you help.

The same script worked for the side menus.

I'll post the site when it goes live.

Regards,

Alessandro

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds