0 items Join Now

Why is your Gantry so SLOW?

• Stu
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Why is your Gantry so SLOW?

Posted 9 years 2 months ago
    • WP: 4.0
      Tessellate Theme

I just ran a test on the website I just developed for a client, and it is extrememly slow. This is the first time I've used Gantry and Rocket Themes. Here are the results via a couple photos and you can see all the Roksprocket stuff that's slowing the site down.

I'd appreciate some advice. Thank you.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: Why is your Gantry so SLOW?

• Hi there,

Check your site with Chrome and in Dev Tools choose network option. You will see that some of your images are huge and this just adds to the page file size. Images that are over 2000px wide and 2.2MB in size and these take time to download. One of your images took 4.24s to download and I am on a fast fibre optic connection.

Optimse your images to the 'Maximum' size you will display them at. This means that slideshow images will be a maximum of 1200px wide and could be saved as jpg with 80% quality to bring them down in size and make them quicker to load. Once the oversize images download they then have to be resized by scripts which is further delay in rendering the page.

Use Chrome Dev Tools to identify other slow areas.

After this you can consider caching options.

Hope this helps 8)
    • The following users have thanked you: Stu

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • Stu
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Thank you, I'll dig into that more.

It makes sense and I tried changing out photos with smaller ones but when I did a Page Analysis it said that CSS and HTML were taking up the most time to upload. Thoughts?
  • Re: Why is your Gantry so SLOW?

• Hi,
      I analyzed your site on gtmetrix.com and concur with David's recommendations for reducing your image sizes and using a caching mechanism such as W3 Total Cache. From experience image sizes are real performance killers.

• Stu
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Appreciate the feedback! Thank you very much-I'll try that! : ) QUESTION--Do images in the worldpress media manager not on a page that's being uploaded still slow it down? For example, I was surprised to see that all pluggins slow down a page upload whether they are used on that page or not.

But here's another page I just started (If you'd like the login info, just say so). I literally just uploaded the rocketlauncher theme MYRIAD for a landing page I intend to build. Check out the results on a test for a site page I haven't even begun to work on! 2.5 seconds already! I thought optimal sites should be no more than 200ms, max 1second.

It feels like this is a gantry framework issue. Your thoughts?

www.maryrossioptimera.com/
      Theme: Myriad
      WP: 4.1
  • Re: Why is your Gantry so SLOW?

• Hey Stu,
      I believe your webhost is one of the culprits for your speed issue. They just do not have a good reputation.

As for your other question about unused images I don't know definitively but don't think so.
    • Stu
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• The first site is Dreamhost and the second is Godaddy
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi there,

The common nickname for GoDaddy is SlowDaddy. Their servers are often way behind the usual expectations and regularly overloaded.

I used to recommend Hostgator as I had an account with them. Since they were bought out by EIG the service has been deplorable.

I am happy to create a test site on my server and clone your site using Akeeba and then see if there are the same delays.

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds