Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED RokSprocket Strips - Move navigation to sides

• Luke Douglas
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Another Old Hack!

SOLVED RokSprocket Strips - Move navigation to sides

Posted 5 years 9 months ago
    • I have got a RokSprocket Strips working fine on a development site. However, the client prefers for the navigation arrows to be on the sides, ie: Previous/Prior arrow on the left and Next arrow on the right with the strips content in-between.

There is no location option in the module. How can I achieve this result?
    • Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Luke Douglas.
    • Just another old hacker!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: RokSprocket Strips - Move navigation to side

• With Custom CSS.

I notice you don't have any current subscription to Rockettheme. Although roksprocket is free, support is not and does require a subscription.

But if you do need more help, Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you. Please do a screenshot of your problem and annotate to make it clear.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Luke Douglas
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Another Old Hack!

• Mark,

The URL is here: https://www.headlandalabama.org/newdesign/index.php

It is working fine including the navigation. The client simply desired that the arrows be on the left and right. From what I got off other posts, this is probably going to require custom edits. I have found the "components\com_roksprocket\layouts\strips" and since I am using the default, the template should be here "components\com_roksprocket\layouts\strips\themes\default". I've looked at the 'index.php' file and can see this is where the code is located to make any custom changes. So do I simply copy "components\com_roksprocket\layouts\strips\themes\default" folder to the "templates/g5_hydrogen/roksprocket" folder and make my changes there?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• It would seem that you managed to do it?

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Luke Douglas
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Another Old Hack!

• Mark,

Yes. kind of. I did some more research and discovered that to customize RokSprocket, you put the component url needed inside a 'roksprocket' folder in the template primary folder.

For those who might want the same functionality, here are the changes:

Copy the specific folder depending on the theme. I was using the 'default' template so I copied the "components/com_roksprocket/layouts/strips/themes/default" folder to the "templates\TEMPLATENAME\roksprocket\layouts\strips\themes\default".

The file to edit was "index.php".

The original code is as follows:

<div class="sprocket-strips" data-strips="<?php echo $parameters->get('module_id'); ?>">
      	<div class="sprocket-strips-overlay"><div class="css-loader-wrapper"><div class="css-loader"></div></div></div>
      	<ul class="sprocket-strips-container cols-<?php echo $parameters->get('strips_items_per_row'); ?>" data-strips-items>
      		<?php
      			$index = 0;
      			foreach ($items as $item){
      				echo $layout->getThemeContext()->load('item.php', array('item'=> $item,'parameters'=>$parameters,'index'=>$index));
      				$index++;
      			}
      		?>
      	</ul>
      	<div class="sprocket-strips-nav">
      		<div class="sprocket-strips-pagination<?php echo !$parameters->get('strips_show_pagination') || $pages <= 1 ? '-hidden' : '';?>">
      			<ul>
      			<?php for ($i = 1, $l = $pages;$i <= $pages;$i++): ?>
      				<?php
      					$class = ($i == 1) ? ' class="active"' : '';
      				?>
      		    	<li<?php echo $class; ?> data-strips-page="<?php echo $i; ?>"><span><?php echo $i; ?></span></li>
      			<?php endfor; ?>
      			</ul>
      		</div>
      		<?php if ($parameters->get('strips_show_arrows')!='hide' && $pages > 1) : ?>
      		<div class="sprocket-strips-arrows">
      			<span class="arrow next" data-strips-next><span>&rsaquo;</span></span>
      			<span class="arrow prev" data-strips-previous><span>&lsaquo;</span></span>
      		</div>
      		<?php endif; ?>
      	</div>
      </div>

The changed file is as follows:

<div class="sprocket-strips" data-strips="<?php echo $parameters->get('module_id'); ?>">
      	<div class="sprocket-strips-overlay"><div class="css-loader-wrapper"><div class="css-loader"></div></div></div>
      			<span class="arrow prev" data-strips-previous><span>&lsaquo;</span></span>
      		</div>
      		<?php endif; ?>
      	<div class="sprocket-strips-outer-container">
      	<ul class="sprocket-strips-container cols-<?php echo $parameters->get('strips_items_per_row'); ?>" data-strips-items>
      		<?php
      			$index = 0;
      			foreach ($items as $item){
      				echo $layout->getThemeContext()->load('item.php', array('item'=> $item,'parameters'=>$parameters,'index'=>$index));
      				$index++;
      			}
      		?>
      	</ul>
      	</div>
      			<span class="arrow next" data-strips-next><span>&rsaquo;</span></span>
      		</div>
      		<?php endif; ?>
      	<div class="sprocket-strips-nav">
      		<div class="sprocket-strips-pagination<?php echo !$parameters->get('strips_show_pagination') || $pages <= 1 ? '-hidden' : '';?>">
      			<ul>
      			<?php for ($i = 1, $l = $pages;$i <= $pages;$i++): ?>
      				<?php
      					$class = ($i == 1) ? ' class="active"' : '';
      				?>
      		    	<li<?php echo $class; ?> data-strips-page="<?php echo $i; ?>"><span><?php echo $i; ?></span></li>
      			<?php endfor; ?>
      			</ul>
      		</div>
      	</div>
      </div>

Basically, what I did was to put a DIV container around the <UL> tag which is where all the magic happens for the strips and assign the class "sprocket-strips-outer-container" to that DIV.

I copied the "sprocket-strips-overlay" DIV above the UL container and below the UL container as well as removed it from the "sprocket-strips-nav" DIV which is where it was originally below the strips. Then I removed the 'next' code from the first "sprocket-strips-overlay" DIV and removed the 'previous' code from the last "sprocket-strips-overlay" DIV.

Next I added some CSS as follows for the "g-home' body class and "showcase-b" particle position where the RokSprocket Strips module was inserted.
      .g-home .showcase-b {
      	.sprocket-strips-item {min-height:300px;height:300px;}
      	.sprocket-strips-arrows,
      	.sprocket-strips-outer-container {
      		display: table-cell;
      		vertical-align: middle;
      	}
      	.arrow {width:25px;}
      	.sprocket-strips-arrows .arrow {display: block;width: 38px;height:38px;line-height: 28px;border-radius: 2em;opacity:1.0;cursor: pointer;float: right;margin-left: 5px;text-align: center;font-size: 3.5em;padding-bottom:2px;}
      	.sprocket-strips-arrows .arrow {
      		background: #ffffff;
      		color: #142d53;
      		box-shadow: 1px 1px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.5);
      	}
      	.sprocket-strips-item .readon {display:none;}
      	.sprocket-strips-item  h4.sprocket-strips-title {
      		font-weight:700;
      		margin-bottom:0;
      		padding-top:85%;
      	}
      	.sprocket-strips-content {z-index: 2;padding: 0px 15px;height:300px;}
      	#g-showcase a {
      		background-color:transparent;
      		color: #ffffff !important;
      		text-shadow:1px 1px 1px #000000 !important;
      		opacity:1;
      	}
      	#g-showcase a:hover,
      	h4:hover,
      	.sprocket-strips-title:hover {text-shadow:1px 1px 1px #ffffff !important;text-decoration:underline;}
      	#g-showcase h1, #g-showcase h2, #g-showcase h3, #g-showcase h4, #g-showcase h5, #g-showcase h6, #g-showcase strong {
      			color: #ffffff;
      	}
      }

This effectively got the effect I was 'generally' looking for which you can view 'right now' at https://headlandalabama.org/newdesign/ . If this link doesn't load, then we have probably gone live so just remove the "newdesign/".

I did have one hickup that I got when I tried to move the Prev arrow circle so that it overlapped the left strip. I tried every type of z-index but it would not display above the strips. The Next arrow circle did overlap. It was a style I had seen on another site and wanted to replicate but, alas, I couldn't get it to work. :) I'm not nearly as smart as some people think I am. LOL

I hope this helps others who might have wanted this functionality.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Thanks for sharing! :)

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds