Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Automatic removing and replacing all tables in a website

• Riccardo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Automatic removing and replacing all tables in a website

Posted 6 years 2 months ago
    • I ask for your opinion and for a possible advice. I need to delete all the tables in hundreds of articles on an old website (in joomla 1.5) that I need to update to the recent version. Can someone perhaps give me a hint, if for Joomla a tool exists, with which I can delete all tables (automatic on the db) and their contents can hold?

I have already searched in the joomla.org extensions and the web without being able to find something like that.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Riccardo.
    • Riccardo Rausch
      www.frontpageserver.it
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Automatic removing and replacing all tables in a website

• I would not attempt that automatically. Every single table will have different layout and elements.

There is a search and replace extension https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/search-replace-for-joomla/ but you won't be able to replace all the code in an entire table (over many lines) because you won't be able to come up one thing to "search" for to do the "replace".

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Riccardo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I thought more about a real table recognition program (<table ... to </ table>) able to identify the beginning and end of these elements with their relative contents (<td> to </ td>) could replace them with simple lines of text (<p> to </ p>).
      I was convinced that someone had already tried, considering that the old sites were almost always ordered in tables.
      Working later on reorganizing the contents would certainly have been faster.
      Bummer! It is about working hours...
    • Riccardo Rausch
      www.frontpageserver.it
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Sorry that's the best I can do with that search and replace extension.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Riccardo

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds