Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED J3.8 upgrade ( from 3.7.5) BREAKS the backend

• SOLVED J3.8 upgrade ( from 3.7.5) BREAKS the backend

Posted 6 years 6 months ago
    • "Suceesful" Joomla update yields broken backend...

Logs are showing this

[Thu Sep 21 09:12:31 2017] [warn] [client 192.168.199.61] PHP Warning:  require_once(/var/www/html/[redacted]/html/libraries/joomla/document/html/renderer/head.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/[redacted]/html/templates/rt_ximenia_responsive/error.php on line 66

[Thu Sep 21 09:12:31 2017] [error] [client 192.168.199.61] PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/var/www/html/[redacted]/html/libraries/joomla/document/html/renderer/head.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/html/[redacted]/html/templates/rt_ximenia_responsive/error.php on line 66

I know there is a pile of issues related to J3.8 breaking backend in cases where there are old extensions, or old library files laying around. This site has all of its third-party extensions up-to-date!

Is there an Ximenia Responsive update "for J3.8"?

My backend error message is "Error 0 Call to undefined method JadminCssMenu::AddChild()"

FrontEnd is working fine...
    • Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Michael Walker.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED J3.8 upgrade ( from 3.7.5) BREAKS the backend

Posted 6 years 6 months ago
  • Re: SOLVED J3.8 upgrade ( from 3.7.5) BREAKS the backend

Posted 6 years 5 months ago
    • Hello,

Thanks for posting the fix to this problem. I tried it and it didn't work. Instead I get this error on every page front end and back end:
      Error: 0 - The parameter "platforminfo.class" must be defined.

At the front end, the error is displayed on a page formatted as my site's error page
      At the back end, the error displays in place of any page but there's still an empty blue menu bar with Joomla logo

Also I couldn't find any file to edit named "comingsoon.php"

That was on a website that had this configuration: PHP 7.0.23, Gantry 4.1.33, Joomla 3.8.0. The problem was solved by changing to PHP 5.6.

I successfully updated a few more websites with the same configuration to Joomla 3.8.0. But continuing through updating my websites to Joomla 3.8.0, I've hit the error again. But this time it won't go away by switching back to PHP 5.6.

Here is the exact error message:
      Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/elizahos/public_html/martis/libraries/joomla/document/html/renderer/head.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php70/pear') in /home/elizahos/public_html/martis/templates/gantry/offline.php on line 139

I'm reluctant to try your 2-3 file fix, since for now at least this website's back end is still working, such that I can install new software versions.

Another forum reported this issue in the JoomShaper template. There it was suggested to try replacing the missing head.php file from Joomla 3.7.5. I tried that, and got a different error:
      Fatal error: Cannot declare class JDocumentRendererHead, because the name is already in use in /home/elizahos/public_html/martis/libraries/joomla/document/html/renderer/head.php on line 20

It was also suggested to clear Joomla cache. I tried that (Maintenance: clear cache and clear expired cache) and also clearing cache from the Gantry Templates Manager: Edit Style, but that clearing made no difference. I still get the fatal PHP error upon trying to display the home page martis.elizahost.com

Do you have any other fixes for me to try? I see you have fixed this problem in your Stratos template, as described in its changelog: www.rockettheme.com/joomla/templates/stratos/modal/downloads . Are you planning a fix to your Gantry 4 "Base" template? Right now because of this error, I have a CLIENT website that I can no longer apply Joomla updates to.

Let me know if you need more information or would like a login to this website to look around for yourself.

Thanks in advance,
      Carol Mattsson
      Web Developer
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• We have not released an updated version of the Gantry 4 template yet. Therefore, you do have to make the 2 + 3 fix that I indicated in my post. All other Gantry 4 template have been updated and released just not the vanilla Gantry 4 template itself.

So, Stratos has been updated and released.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Carol Mattsson

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Hi Mr. T.

I tried the fix on that development website, martis.elizahost.com and it WORKED! THANK YOU!

I repeated the fix at the corresponding live website, martis-plumbing.com , that worked too!

I am still not sure why this same fix didn't work on my practice website mentioned earlier, but I will try your fix again again with this change:

First update to the latest version of Gantry template, by installing your gantry-4.1.33-template.zip. Because: I noticed that the 5 gantry extensions that I had installed, all were at version 4.1.33 except the template was at version 4.1.27. Yet no update was reported in Extensions: Update. Maybe the template extension doesn't yet work with the update manager?

Cheers,
      Carol
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Woah hang on I'm confused? Gantry 4 and Gantry 5 are two completely different frameworks, If you have a Gantry 4 site then you should be installing anything that is Gantry 5 and also my fix is only for Gantry 4 templates (not Gantry 5).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Hi Mr. T,

Oh, I can see now how my wording e.g. "latest" might have confused you now. Sorry. Definitely I'm working with only Gantry 4 here.

Cheers,
      Carol
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Carol Mattsson wrote:
      Because: I noticed that the 5 gantry extensions that I had installed, all were at version 4.1.33 except the template was at version 4.1.27.

Nope it was the above that confused me where you mention Gantry 5?

Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look at your "practice" site for you.

Regards, Mark.

• Hi Mr. T.,

Thank you for your kind offer to investigate at the "practice" site (AKA "slider" site). I found what was the problem at the Slider site. Problem solved, I don't need you to investigate after all.

Your fix DID solve the head.php problem, but since I got the other fatal error
      Error: 0 - The parameter "platforminfo.class" must be defined.

I assumed the fix had not worked and gave up there. Today I repeated the fix, after updating gantry template extension. Keeping the website at PHP 5.6. All was well, as before. But then switching to PHP 7.0 I got the "platforminfo.class" error on every admin page as before.

(Leaving the back end pretty useless for you to investigate.)

However this time I looked up the error message, and found this thread:

www.rockettheme.com/forum/gantry-solved-...defined?limitstart=0

The solution at the thread's website was:
      Problem fixed, you didn't have RokSprocket updated to latest version!

So I looked at the other RocketTheme extensions I had installed at this site. Screenshot is here:

www.dropbox.com/s/ox7an57psmxmj78/rok-ex...ions-slider.png?dl=0

There was no RokSprocket, though I might have had it on that website or one of its predecessors. However there were 5 (five, not "5 Gantry" ;-) other extensions with the name "Rok" in them, dated 2012 - 2017, same as at the now working "martis.elizahost.com" website. Except Marti's had three of them disabled:

* Content - RokInjectModule
      * RokCommon
      * System - RokCommon

After I disabled those three extensions at the "slider" site, I switched the PHP version back to 7.0.23 and the website still worked!

I'll send a note with my thanks to that other thread.

Mr. T, it's OK with me to close this issue.

Thanks again,
      Carol

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds