Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Changiing Module Positions Results in ??? - RokWebify

Changiing Module Positions Results in ??? - RokWebify

Posted 16 years 9 months ago
    • I was working through the tutorials and when i came upon the tutorial named "changing the side column" something peculiar happened.

It's a simple idea and it was to shift the right modules to the left. Before I did this it looked like the attached picture: example.rokwebify

First, I noticed the bars for separation were missing from the top menu as well as the red arrow icons on the right. So I guess there's problems to start with(after following the top 4 tutorials). I followed the tutorials closely and I don't think I made a mistake. So if someone could shed some light on this that would be awesome.

Anyways, this is the specific question for changing module positions.

<?php if(mosCountModules('right')) : ?>
      <td class="right">
      <div class="padding">
      <?php mosLoadModules('right', -2); ?>
      </div>
      </td>
      <?php endif; ?>

This is the piece of php code in question... now if i leave the "right" the way it is and move the piece of code like how its suggested in the tutorial the switch from right to left is successful but leaving "right" would be confusing in the external css. So I would change everything from "right" to "left", specifically td.right to td.left in the css and right to left in the above snippet to this:

<?php if(mosCountModules('left')) : ?>
      <td class="left">
      <div class="padding">
      <?php mosLoadModules('left', -2); ?>
      </div>
      </td>
      <?php endif; ?>

The results are shown in example2.rokwebify (picture). The switch is made but new (modules?) appear... so I'm confused what's going on?
    • Last Edit: 16 years 9 months ago by .
  • Re: Changiing Module Positions Results in ??? - RokWebify

• Hello,

I mostly likely missed something out somewhere :D
      First, I noticed the bars for separation were missing from the top menu as well as the red arrow icons on the right. So I guess there's problems to start with(after following the top 4 tutorials). I followed the tutorials closely and I don't think I made a mistake. So if someone could shed some light on this that would be awesome.

Might be my fuzzy eyes but I do not see this change. I can see that the separator has not moved, possibly just a border-right to border-left that needs to be changed, a link would make that quicker :)
      Anyways, this is the specific question for changing module positions.

<?php if(mosCountModules('right')) : ?>
      <td class="right">
      <div class="padding">
      <?php mosLoadModules('right', -2); ?>
      </div>
      </td>
      <?php endif; ?>

This is the piece of php code in question... now if i leave the "right" the way it is and move the piece of code like how its suggested in the tutorial the switch from right to left is successful but leaving "right" would be confusing in the external css. So I would change everything from "right" to "left", specifically td.right to td.left in the css and right to left in the above snippet to this:

<?php if(mosCountModules('left')) : ?>
      <td class="left">
      <div class="padding">
      <?php mosLoadModules('left', -2); ?>
      </div>
      </td>
      <?php endif; ?>

The results are shown in example2.rokwebify (picture). The switch is made but new (modules?) appear... so I'm confused what's going on?

The template before had no left module position. Therefore, any module that has been assigned to the left position will not show in RokWebify. However, when you switched right to left. The left modules suddenly had a place to go.

Hope that helps :)
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK

Re: Changiing Module Positions Results in ??? - RokWebify

• Thanks james for the quick reply!

When I was talking about the top menu, I was talking about the vertical lines that separates each menu item are not showing like "customizing your logo" tutorial. Not only that but the words are missing as well. The area I'm referring to is shown in the attached pic. Are they missing because I haven't defined those menu items yet?

As for the right to left switch. I'm not sure if I'm getting it totally ??? So when I "switch" or make a position for a new module(like the 'new' left module position) items that are already predetermined for that region just show up?

what if i wanted the items in the left module to be in the right module position, essentially cutting and pasting?

• I do not think there is suppose to be a divider between the nav bar and the mainbody.

For the menus to appear, you need to assign a menu module to the user 3 position, example

1. Go into Admin>Modules>Site Modules>Top Menu
      2. Assign to the User 3 position
      3. Have the menu class suffix as -nav
      4. Set to flat list
      5. Publish

--

To understand the shift in modules, it is best not to see them as the left and right module position. Image the left module position as User 1 and the right module positin as User 2.

We first moved User 2 from the right side of the mainbody to the left side of the mainbody. All modules assigned to User 2 will now appear to the left of the mainbdoy.

However, we now rename User 2 to User 1. Therefore, all the modules assigned to User 2 now disappear to be replaced by modules assigned to the User 1 position.

Hope that helps :)

• That explanation on the user 1 and user 2 in regards to the modules definitely painted a clearer picture. ;D
      So I'm assuming user2 and user1 are already predefined with their own content, as the pictures indicate.

"I do not think there is suppose to be a divider between the nav bar and the mainbody.

For the menus to appear, you need to assign a menu module to the user 3 position, example

1. Go into Admin>Modules>Site Modules>Top Menu
      2. Assign to the User 3 position
      3. Have the menu class suffix as -nav
      4. Set to flat list
      5. Publish"

As for this, isn't this already set as the default parameters in the topmenu module? Also how do you know where each module position is? I've noticed in other templates there's a diagram of the layout of the modules ie user1, user2, advert1...

As for the vertical separator bars as its called in the "color variations" tutorial separates the: home|contact us|blog|support is what im referring to, i'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but these are missing. Unless it's supposed to be this way.
      lol as more things get answered more questions appear :D

• Ooooooooo, vertical separators :D I thought you meant horizontal *slaps head* They should appear once the menu is loaded correctly.

I just copied the settings off the Rokwebify demo incase there were any differences. It should just be a matter of publishing in User 3 and you should be set.

The diagrams of the module positions are normally created in Fireworks to be published on the demos. However, there is a much eacher and simpler way.

You have your Joomla! site www.yoursiteURL.com
      When you load it you go to www.yoursite.com/index.php
      To view the module positions you go to www.yoursite.com/index.php ?tp=1

A real life example demo.rockettheme.com/rokwebify/index.php?tp=1

May I shall understand better when I am not half asleep ;D

• "To view the module positions you go to www.yoursite.com/index.php?tp=1 "

That's Genius~! Muchas Gracias!

Thanks again james for helpin out a noob :)

I'll just have to comb over those tutorials to see what I did wrong :-\

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds