Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Best way to convert an old Rocket Theme a new Gantry 5 template?

• Best way to convert an old Rocket Theme a new Gantry 5 template?

Posted 7 years 8 months ago
    • I have a website that is currently using an old Panacea theme. I'm upgrading to 3.6 and it works fine, but I want to upgrade and install the new Citadel template too, using the gantry 5. What is the absolute best way to go about this? I tried installing Gantry 5 and the Standalone, but it broke the site and wouldn't save as I made template changes etc.

Any thoughts?
    • The following users have thanked you: Brett Havard

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Best way to convert an old Rocket Theme a new Gantry 5 template?

• Broke the site how? You can have Gantry 5 and Gantry 4 (and their templates) co-exist in the same joomla instance but it makes it much more complex. The best thing to do is clone the existing site, install Gantry 5 and your chosen template, and uninstallt the Gantry 4 template and Gantry 4. Then, make you own menu the default menu item (rather than the citadel one). Then I would suggest that you create a new outline (make it default too) and in that outline layout load the "gantry4" preset that has many of the same position names on the layout as were used in Gantry4 template. That will give you a starting point, but be aware that this will still give you a large undertaking ahead... There is no "simple" way of making such a conversion (especially on such an old template).

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: KThackston, Brett Havard

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Best way to convert an old Rocket Theme a new Gantry 5 template?

• ay yi yi... I was afraid you say that, Mark. lol I think the gantry 4 and gantry 5 were conflicting because when I tried to switch back to the old template, it gave a gantry error and wouldn't save it either. the gantry for both just refused to cooperate. I am doing all of this in a mirrored folder and database so as not to muck up the original.

What do you think about this approach?
      - load the Citadel RocketLauncher Template with no demo data
      - load all my components from old site
      - load my image files from old site
      - load a bu of mysql database with everything but old template
      - build out my Citadel styles from there

(I work alone and don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of, thanks for your help)
    • Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by KThackston. Reason: added info

• I couldn't get the rocketlauncher version to work. not sure what's going on. I'll try loading the way you suggested.

I'm getting this error though

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 130968 bytes) in /hermes/walnaweb14a/b2870/moo.scrttccom/2016/libraries/gantry5/vendor/leafo/scssphp/src/Compiler.php on line 1986
    • Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by KThackston.

• ugh... I've disabled instead of removed Gantry 4 and the Panacea template, so this could be the problem. But I am getting consistent errors when I try to save. Also, I decided to go ahead and install the demo data, but it doesn't look like anything has been applied.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Can anyone help, please? I've done everything exactly like Mark suggested, but it is not loading the template or demo content or anything properly. I went back and completely removed the Gantry 4 and Panacea template so that's not the issue. But I cannot figure out what is.

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• KThackston - we try to answer most posts within 48 hrs but at busy times and weekends it may take a little longer. Also, remember that MODS work in different timezones throughout the world which may not match your own, and we're not here 100% of the time.

So, I checked your site:

1. You started with the standalone package (not rocketlaucnher) presumably because yout wanted to add the template to an existing Joomla installation. (Just an observation).
      2. The default menu item was not set to your home menu item (as I advised) so I changed it.
      3. The default template was not set to use the Gantry 4 preset (as I advised) but rather the "citadel -default" preset instead - so you won't have all the positions normally available in a Gantry 4 template. (just an Observation).

But...

4. (You biggest issue). Your php memory_limit is set to 32M which is way too small - it needs to be at least 128M so that Gantry 5 can recompile CSS.

But...

5. The template is actually working and is showing for me?

Regards, Mark.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• Hi,

I see the template in the back end. I can make changes, etc. But it is not loading on the front end at all. See screenshot.

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

• MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Please see item 4 of my reply above.

You only have 32M PHP memory_limit which is insufficient to compile the SCSS - therefore there is no compiled CSS, therefore the CSS for the site is not active, therefore you only get plain HTML without any styling.

You need to increase your PHP memory_limit from 32M to at least 128M.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds