Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

trojan on Populus?

• Re: trojan on Populus?

Posted 16 years 2 months ago
    • I keep seeing "waiting for top100-counter.com" and connecting to top100-counter.com
      when the site lags....
    • Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

• I too am getting reports of a Trojan virus on my site after installing Populus. I have only gotten the message once on my computer, but several people that have visited the site are reporting that they are picking up a report of a Trojan. I updated the template for the XSS patch, but still the same issue. My site is http://www.dixiedirttv.com.  I was using the Sporticus template before with no issues and no reports of a Trojan... now after switching to Populus several people are having that issue. Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: trojan on Populus?

• I think you should llook at your content, funny that both these sites are tv sites.
      It keeps trying to load some plugin when I navigate there and security settings are preventing it.
      This is not the template it is something else you are loading on that site and it does not look to good.

• All of the conent on the site is our own... we don't even link to any content elsewhere, so it would have to be something contained on the server. I also have a dedicated server, so I did a security scan, a trojan horse scan, etc... nothing turned up. I had the datacenter do a scan... they found nothing. I have un-installed and re-installed almost every component and module that I can think of that MIGHT cause it, but still doesn't fix the issue.

I have narrowed it down a bit though... we use an ad rotation script (again the script is on our server and all the ads are on the server... as we don't use any 3rd party scripts or even any 3rd party ads), but the ad rotation script uses Javascript to serve the ads, SO... I am wondering if virus scans are reporting false-positives for trojan horses from the javascript that is on the site. Any ideas?

• so what are all of the plugins the site is attempting to install when you browse there?

• I have no idea... that is what I am trying to figure out. There should not be any plugins required to run the site. There aren't even any videos on the front page that might require a plugin. I have had reports of people needing to install quicktime, excel, etc... but none of these plugins are needed for the site. These are the strange issues I have been seeing after installing Populus, we used Sporticus before and never had any issues. I can't exactly put my finger on what is causing it. I even disabled the ad rotation script and had a person try it and they still were asked to install plugins.

Not everyone has had a problem with the site asking to install plugins... just some, so that is why I am really confused. We had the issue on one of our computers when I tested the site and it was from something to do with Norton Antivirus, but on our other computer it loads fine and both have Norton installed. It is really strange and it is giving me a headache.

• the only plugins i use are xtypo, community builder, and a few other from joomala, I installed most of my extensions months ago.

that are quite commonly used by alot of joomala users, the top 100 was just a image on my site and was taken down.

this started as soon as i put up populas, and i had not installed anything after or before i installed it.

• johnjwillard... out of curiousity which version of Joomla and Community Builder are you using? I have Joomla 1.012 and CB version 1.0.2. Both of these are the older versions, but never had an issue with them prior to installing populus... I was just wondering since we are having similar issues if we are using the same versions. Thanks!

• Two more people visited my site and reported that Norton Antivirus is blocking the site due to a trojan horse. I have searched and re-searched everything that I can think of... anyone else have any ideas how to fix this? Our computer, which also has Norton, is coming up with a Trojan horse. Is this a false-positive?
    • GollumX
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hmmm...

Simple test... comment out the js in the template index.php file. (details in the populus subforum). If the warnings persist.. then ask for an unencrypted/uncompressed version of the js.
    • Say no to Internet Explorer 6.
      twitter.com/mark_up

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds