Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

trojan on Populus?

• trojan on Populus?

Posted 16 years 2 months ago
    • So Installed this template and a few hours later i started getting emails from people saying there virus scanner poped up saying there was a trojan virus and also some pepls pc just froze.

I notticed that when i was on my work computer and tested it it froze my pc......

what is going on with this template ? i am loosing alot of visitors.
  • Re: trojan on Populus?

• I like how you move my topic but dont reply to the problem,
      makes me feal like you guys know somthing your not saying.

• John,

I can guarantee there is no trojan virus embedded in the Populus template. If you have a look through the entire source files, you will not see a virus.

Some of the javascript elements in the template are encrytped and sometimes virus scanners see an encrypted file and may think that it is bad.

Do you have a link to your site so we can test the 'freezing' issue?
    • Mack
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: trojan on Populus?

• You have a link to the site?

If it were a template issue, you'd see a lot more posts here than just one. It's possible to get a false positive from encrypted JS, and also possible there is something on your site causing the issue.

Without a link, no way to tell.
    • Last Edit: 16 years 2 months ago by Mack.
    • GollumX
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Embedding trojans into template files is what warez sites do as taking control of PC's for their botnets is often the reason they give away stolen scripts and templates in the first place. johnjwillard, I will throw my name behind Mike's guarantee as well. There is no trojan in populus downloaded from RT. It will most certainly be a false positive caused by the encrypted js.
    • Say no to Internet Explorer 6.
      twitter.com/mark_up

• sure no problem my site is www.movieago.com

thank you for responding, i am a llittle worried , becuase i checked the site on 4 computers yesterday after i recived the complaints and it locked up on 2 of them.

I had to reboot both computers.

the main complaints I get are about virus or lockups

I had 0 problems before installing this template.

• just a FYI because the type of site i have i know fingers may be pointed twoards me, however i host notthing on my site excep for a small handfull of extensions and a few hundred links, But i do not host any videos, i dont even host my own photos.....so a lock up would not be because of my content.
    • Robert W
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT

• Johnjwillard, I too can back up Mike's guarantee. I checked out your site and it loaded awfully slow for me and I'm on a 30MB fiber connection. It could be that it's not necessarily locking up peoples pc's but that it is taking a while for the page to load though so it appears that way. I've installed Populus on other sites and they do not have any troubles and work just great.

• I just tried the site and the homepage loaded pretty fast for me and I'm on a crappy connection....some of the other links in the site seemed to lag a bit but not unusable.
      no virus warnings or other weirdness either...
    • Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

• the site was never slow before, The only thing i have on the site is text and 4 extensions.

i really dont want to uninstall this template, I will give it a few days, and see how many more emails i get from my visitrors.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds