0 items Join Now

Yor site has been hacked - False Alarm -

• Bob Ateah
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Yor site has been hacked - False Alarm -

Posted 16 years 3 months ago
    • gmeleski wrote:
      Roland Deschain wrote:
      No offense, but if you are careful about these things then you really wouldn't be using IE to surf IMHO - too insecure - just surfing to the "wrong" site can cause you to be infected.

I tried IE6 and IE7 and I didn't get anything like that here - it must be a local infection pal - go to:
      www.trendmicro.com and do a free full online scan - let us know what it finds! Btw - keep running the online scan until you are completely clean.

Regarding the IE7 versus Fireox or whatever. Firefox and other browsers are a small percentage compared with IE. I too like Firefix but still use IE because it is the mainstream.

As far a Trend Micro goes, please revue the chart below:

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

I feel there is something else going on here and will be looking into it.

Gary

I was recommending that you use the Trend Micro ONLINE scan, not switch to using their software. ;)
      Do an online scan just in case your onboard A/V software has been compromised.b You also may want to run HiJackThis - but be sure to know how to use it.

Best of luck resolving this.
    • The member formerly known as Roland Deschain
      After your question is solved, please Edit your original post and choose the Solved message icon, thank you!
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-Time Cancer Fighter!

• Regarding the IE7 versus Fireox or whatever. Firefox and other browsers are a small percentage compared with IE. I too like Firefix but still use IE because it is the mainstream.

Have you considered the fact that these stats are skewed to the fact that every windows box comes pre-installed with some version of internet-exploiter and the average computer-user has no-idea the problems with all the "active-X" security issues that are running in the background with IE.

Everyone that uses FF or Safari does so by choice.
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
      A quote attributed to my Grandpa Wagers

• Robert D. Wagers wrote:
      Regarding the IE7 versus Fireox or whatever. Firefox and other browsers are a small percentage compared with IE. I too like Firefix but still use IE because it is the mainstream.

Have you considered the fact that these stats are skewed to the fact that every windows box comes pre-installed with some version of internet-exploiter and the average computer-user has no-idea the problems with all the "active-X" security issues that are running in the background with IE.

Everyone that uses FF or Safari does so by choice.

Well, I didn't expect this to get into a Browser discussion but click here and you will see one of a MULTITUDE of
      reports about browser stats. Now let me say that I use Firefox sometimes, but for web designing and checking you HAVE to put IE first
      as most users out there probably don't even know better browsers exist.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=11659

Cheers,

Gary Meleski

• Just to keep everyone updated who may be viewing this thread.

I finally tracked down the problem to one of (2) things:

1) A bad registry entry
      2) A cookie

I used a program called Unilblue Power Suite which basically scans all your cookies and checks the registry.

www.liutilities.com/

Now I scan the registry for bogus stuff using other programs but they didn't find anything.
      This one did and cleared up the problem.

I apolgize for the "False Alarm" but it certainly appeared to be a Virus of some type and or something I had not
      seen in the many years of computing.

Thanks,

Gary Meleski
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-Time Cancer Fighter!

• I've read many similar articles about Internet Exploiters market share. Read that article with this in mind. What is IE's (any version) market share where the user made a choice to download and install IE? Answer: about 0%. No One ever faced with an informed choice would ever choose Internet Exploiter over a more secure/more efficient browser like FireFox or Safari.

Another fact that skews the percentage in favor of Internet Exploiter is the fact that allot of businesses still use Windows NT along with IE6 for control the browsing tendencies of their employees.
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
      A quote attributed to my Grandpa Wagers

• Robert D. Wagers wrote:
      I've read many similar articles about Internet Exploiters market share. Read that article with this in mind. What is IE's (any version) market share where the user made a choice to download and install IE? Answer: about 0%. No One ever faced with an informed choice would ever choose Internet Exploiter over a more secure/more efficient browser like FireFox or Safari.

Another fact that skews the percentage in favor of Internet Exploiter is the fact that allot of businesses still use Windows NT along with IE6 for control the browsing tendencies of their employees.

My friend, I 100% agree that Firefox is a much better browser. But "It is what it is" so to speak. Most of the worlds
      computers run some Microsoft product and they sure aren't going to bundle Firefox with their software. That would be terrible business on their part. The fact they can't get it right is the problem.

Most consmer computers come with Windows (in some form). That's it. Sorry, not much choice. So the average Mr. Joe Computer user just uses IE6 or IE7 or whatever because it is already there on his system.

It's like Apple's OSX or whatever. It doesn't come with Internet Explorer.

We "Experts" :) know better and look at the alternatives.

I don't think Andy (or any web designer) likes the thought of making his stuff complient with a dozen
      different browsers that have their own quirks. This is why they are all headed towards a 100% defacto standard.

I cannot remember offhand, but somewhere on the web is a defacto "test page". When all browsers can render it
      100% we will have full compliance and a standard among all browsers.

Maybe, just maybe, with the upcoming IE8 (first part of the year I think) this will change. Let's keep our fingers crossed, so to speak.

Thanks,

Gary
  • Re: Yor site has been hacked - False Alarm -

• I am not a fan of browser war but IMHO until all the big businesses/companies that spends million or billion of dollars in browser base applications that works only on IE spend another million or billion of dollar to port these application to other browser then we can stop thinking about IE.

I use FF in my daily personal net surfing but IE is the main browser at work to make use of all the web base applications. I have to accept it and move on.

Sort of good news about IE: www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3717691 .
  • Re: Yor site has been hacked - False Alarm -

• I'd just be happy if there was an IE8 which worked from ME onwards and was web stand compliant :)
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds