Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Folder and File Permissions

• Folder and File Permissions

Posted 9 years 8 months ago
    • I installed a theme using Rocketlauncher on my public site about a month ago and everything worked fine. Now I'm trying to launch the Oculus on my local DEV server to do some experimenting.

I know there are a few threads which indicate that when installing, all folders to 755 and all files to 644, which I did. Well the configuration.php didn't get created using RocketLauncher, so I just copied the script contents as instructed and pasted the file in it's correct spot. Also, the 'delete installation directory' function didn't work, I had to delete it manually.

I launched the site after install, the site looks weird; mostly all text, no real theme or anything. Not sure what's up there, but I whent to the /administrator site and logged in, everything looks correct, but when I make changes to Global configuration, it gives me an error related to 'cannot write to configuration.php' file. So I made sure the user/group was chowned to the same user that I used to upload the install files.

I wiped everything and tried again. Same result.

I am going to wipe everything and try setting everything to 777 before running the installation, which I suspect will make everything work. So I'm wondering, what is the 'user' that is used by the installation when launching from a browser?
  • Re: Folder and File Permissions

• ok as suspected, when I set everything to 777 the install works great and everything is good, but I hate to have to leave everything at 777.

Also, I noticed there was an FTP install module before when everything was 755/644 and this time it didn't go pop up that screen.

In any case... I'm unsure if I should be changing stuff back to 755/644 now or what?

• I'm not sure why this happens on a local Linux LAMP server, but after unzipping a RocketLauncher pack into the html directory, chmoding directories/files to 755/644 causes issues during the install phase and errors when attempting to change the configuration file.

The solution:
      1) Unzip files into the /var/www/html folder
      2) From a terminal window on the server execute:
      find /var/www -exec chmod 777 {} +
      3) From a remote browser, hit the site and follow the installation prompts
      4) From a terminal window on the server execute:
      find /var/www -type d -exec chmod 755 {} +
      find /var/www -type f -exec chmod 644 {} +

Now when you hit the website, first off, it looks the way it should, and when you hit the /administrator url, making changes writes to the configuration file and other modules as expected.

Again, I find it strange that running the install with permissions set to 755/644 causes issues.

PS> In case you're wondering, the 'user' which executes the installation is www-data:www-data
    • Last Edit: 9 years 8 months ago by MajikTom.

• Hate to keep bumping this thread with replies, but I'm still having issues, (groan).

So after step 4 above, the configuration file can be written to, but there are still permission issues. When I try to change the style from the default demo template, I get a white background and text, no theme.

The only way I can get things to work is by:
      find /var/www/html -exec chown www-data:www-data

This seems nasty to me... And I don't know yet what will happen if I start uploading my own files created offline...

Any help is appreciated...

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds