Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

JFTP::connect: Could not connect, required for Rok-extension

• YeeP
    • Hero Rocketeer

JFTP::connect: Could not connect, required for Rok-extension

Posted 12 years 10 months ago
    • Note: this is a double post from the RokNavMenu section that I did not get any response to. I tried to delete and could not.

I purchase the phpbb3 style after already owning the same template. With much excitement I started going through the install, come to find out you need to have the FTP "layer" working to get RokNavMenu to setup your forum header/menu to look the same. Seems reasonable. I have never gotten it to work in the past, but figured that was because of my own ignorance.

I spent quite a few hours today googling things like:
      "JFTP::connect: Could not connect to host"
      and
      "godaddy JFTP::connect: Could not connect to host"

It looks like people on godaddy have gotten this going, but I am without luck. Can anyone please help me? At this point I cannot get this part of the system to work.

Here is the error:
      JFTP::connect: Could not connect to host "ip.address.of.server" on port 21

copy/paste from configuration.php
      var $ftp_host = 'ip.address.of.server';
          var $ftp_port = '21';
          var $ftp_user = 'ftp user';
          var $ftp_pass = 'ftp user password';
          var $ftp_root = '/';
      many other ftp_root(s) tried, see below.

FYI:"ftp user" is the one I use to connect with an FTP client.

I have tried this with a blank on the root folder, also tried with /html and many others. This install is not on the root directory of my host. I am building a demo install that I will move to another server.

I have also tried the ftp_host as the actual web address, this did nothing.

1) Web host is: godaddy.com
      2) ftp_user: has permissions to all files/folder on host
      3) I have read that you can have problems based on the CHMOD setup for configuration.php. I changed it to 644.
      4) After updating the information on the FTP connection in the global configuration, I can apply (as long as I am not trying to enable), and it will update the information. I can then download it with my ftp client, and will see the changes in the file.
      5) I also have always been able to connect with my ftp client.

Server stats:
      1) curl: enabled
      2) php version: 5.2.17
      3) db version: 5.0.91-log
      4) register_globals is off

ftp_host attempts:
      1) localhost
      2) 127.0.0.1
      3) ip of server
      4) domain address

User login and password are definitely correct as I use them all the time to connect with filezilla.

ftp_root attempts:
      1) copied from the temporary file definition in global config
      /****/****/**/*****/html/dchswrestling
      2) /html
      3) /dchswrestling
      4) /
      5) blank

File/folder permission:
      1) /cache 755
      2) /tmp 755
      3) configuration.php 644 (also tried 777, no luck there)

I also created a 2nd ftp user that has a root directory of dchswrestling and tried to set the root defined as / or blank, neither work.

I would be happy to give the pertinent information for a log in to a Rockettheme employee if it is required. The Joomla forum has some stuff on this, but usually people end up saying "it is not required for install". Also - I did not use the auto-find when installing, as I have never used an extension that required this ability.

Thanks,
      Ryan
    • YeeP
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: JFTP::connect: Could not connect, required for Rok-extension

• Roeland_A!
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• For 'ip.address.of.server' did you also try the host you use for connecting with your ftp client?
    • *Karma comes in many forms, my personal favourite is the random saucepan from the sky* J.Spencer 17-02-2009
    • YeeP
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Yes sir, I did.
    • Roeland_A!
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Can you pm me access to joomla and your ftp?
    • *Karma comes in many forms, my personal favourite is the random saucepan from the sky* J.Spencer 17-02-2009
    • YeeP
    • Hero Rocketeer

• PM on your way.

Thank you! :mrgreen:
    • Roeland_A!
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Apologies for taking a while to get back to you, the only thing missing is: what is the adress of your ftp? This is the one item not there :oops:
    • Roeland_A!
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• I have tried different settings, but could not find the correct one. I am going to aks another mod to take a look at this too if that is ok with you.
  • Re: JFTP::connect: Could not connect, required for Rok-extension

• *This post makes reference to settings on shared servers. Your settings may be different on a secure, non-shared server.

There's two issues which are at play here. First, Joomla FTP settings AND your server FTP settings.

You MUST have your document root pointed to the actual Joomla folder for the Primary Account (your main site) and each subsequent Joomla site install. Generally, your host will set the document root for the primary to the root folder. Smart folks install each Joomla site off the root for a myriad of reasons I won't list here. Problem is, we have to instruct our hosts to tell our primary account what's going on. Things will work (maybe, maybe not) for a while... UNTIL you start adding on. If the primary account is not set up properly, your add-on sites/domains are guaranteed to crash and burn, and usually at the most inopportune moment.

You can access the Add-On or Sub Domain Manager in your Control Panel to double-check the document root for any other domain/site. This setting should be reflected in your config.php file.

On permissions: Use Akeeba Admin Tools. Fixes scores of errors we wouldn't catch without hours of culling through files. Try this first.

Have you gone into your host Control Panel and set up the proper permissions for FTP Accounts on the new site? That could be your key.

Are you using SFTP or FTP. If you are using SFTP (strongly recommended) your port will probably be 22, not 21. Check with your host on this.

I am assuming you know how to set the proper path for the FTP to work. I'm not seeing what "I" would have in your settings, but your config could be different than mine and posting them could be a security risk, so that is understandable. To be sure, you can check settings for your FTP Account controls through the Control Panel. Might help to go check that out. Here's how to get there:

Login to Server's Control Panel.
      Go to Files>FTP Accounts. You will see all your sites listed.
      Next, on the right hand side of site listings, you should see "Configure your FTP client" for each site.
      Select it and make sure these settings are passed on to Joomla in the config file for any reference to the file structure, INCLUDING FTP.

This may be your answer, maybe not.

Hope it helps.
      Carol
    • YeeP
    • Hero Rocketeer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago
    • I appreciate all of your input. This Akeeba admin tool is pretty intense.
      The setup is regular FTP. I do have the config pointed at the root of the "sub directory install" at this point, but I have also changed it to the main account directory. This does not make a difference.

I think through working with rockettheme, it has been determined that this is a server issue in terms of what they will allow.

At this point I am thinking I will move the site to another host. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with bluehost, which seems to be open to everything I need. I also checked out this list as recommended by rockettheme.. resources.joomla.org/directory/support-services/hosting

Any experience with any of these? It looks like a lot of them want to install for you. I just want a host that will allow me to do what I need to.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds