Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

DISCUSS: RTv3 Launch Date + Downtime

• Re: DISCUSS: RTv3 Launch Date + Downtime

Posted 10 years 1 month ago
    • What can I say? I'm speecheless! I've been a proud member since 2008, and the new site is simply OUTSTANDING!!! Definetly at the cutting edge of what can be done with RT/Joomla! Keep up the great work! Cant wait to see whats next:-)

• I really like what I'm seeing so far. This forum is obviously a big step forward.

The demo layout and style quick change buttons are cool.

I'll continue my tour... thanks for advancing so nicely.
    • Last Edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Clayton @ ShockoeStudios.com.
    • Web Design + Photo + Video = Websites That Work!

• Looks great !
      The forum is so much better. I really hope you guys are planning on a Kunena Template club for the future ;)

• Hi,

Stunning new look!

What I am very interested in is the fact RT has chosen to go Kunena. This must have meant a tremendous amount of MySQL work into migrating the previous PHPBB3 forum into the new Kunena! I assume it is the latest Kunena 3.x?

As far as I can check, there is no official PHPBB importer for Kunena 3.x
      The work you have done must have resulted in an importer you wrote? Is this possibly something you might want to share?
    • Best regards,

Piet Nutbey

Joomla Video Tutorials: www.joomtorial.com
    • Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

Re: DISCUSS: RTv3 Launch Date + Downtime

• Andy may want to fill you about the reason of choosing Kunena, but I think that the main reason for the move was the fact that phpBB needed a bridge to work. They wanted a native solution and Kunena was the obvious choice.

Importer is actually the same that I implemented a few years ago, but which was never updated for Kunena 2.0 as I just didn't have time to do it. I just ported the migrator to Joomla 2.5+ and updated the code to match Kunena 2.0 database (Kunena 3.0/3.1 isn't that different). I also had to fix decent amount of issues to be able to migrate a forum which has already been migrated once -- with broken data in it. I think that most of the time went into bugs, as the conversion was two days job...

The final Kunena migration took about 2 hours to run and it migrated most of the data from phpBB. It looks like it went pretty well, except of some BBCode issues and users that didn't quite make it because of bad data in the database. Luckily most of those users haven't been around for years and were already migrated from SMF.

I need to think what to do with the migrator because of it will be support nightmare to publish it. There are just way too many things that may and will go wrong during the migration and it's probably the hardest problem I've ever solved while coding in PHP (Linux Kernel was more challenging, though). I know that there's a great need to have good importers for Kunena, but I'm not sure if I can affort on using too much of my free time on them. Maybe offering it against money and some support would make it worthwile, but I'm still scared that I would end up using more time to fix the issues than I would earn by selling it. I don't know.

I already mentioned in some other topic that we're using slightly customized version of Kunena 3.1 with a custom template.
    • Gantry 5, enjoy!

• This is already information that helps me a lot!

Thanks Matias for your insights and time!
    • Best regards,

Piet Nutbey

Joomla Video Tutorials: www.joomtorial.com
    • Alain
    • Elite Rocketeer

• +1 for a Kunena Template club :)
    • Let go of what we believe to be, to awaken to who we are...
      Alain

• Okay, so the aesthetics of the old site are gone and that is a real shame. Why? Because part of the reason I went with RT four years ago now was because of the aesthetics of the old site. Aesthetics means a lot to me and I skipped over a lot of Joomla template clubs for that express reason.

Moving on... How about in the heavily massaged Kunena forum give us back the ability to mark a thread as SOLVED with the icons. Please at the same time implement Smileys as on occasion I use them.

Finally, though I seriously enjoy Kunena, perhaps it might behoove RT to offer your rewritten code as a purchasable add-on for Kunena via RT. Just a thought.

Cordially,
      A. Wayne Webb
    • Cordially,
      A. Wayne Webb
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• Moving on... How about in the heavily massaged Kunena forum give us back the ability to mark a thread as SOLVED with the icons

... if you are a starter of a thread you can edit the title and the icon.

• Henning wrote:
      Moving on... How about in the heavily massaged Kunena forum give us back the ability to mark a thread as SOLVED with the icons
      ... if you are a starter of a thread you can edit the title and the icon.
      You're just so darned smart 'tis scary. Thanks and I will gladly mark that other thread appropriately!!!

Cordially,
      A. Wayne Webb

P.S. I clicked on the blue bubble in my initial thread which does nothing. Ahh, teething pains. Mayhaps a little tutorial on how to use the new and improved forum somewhere amonst the hundred gazillon threads. <shame-faced>
    • Cordially,
      A. Wayne Webb

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds