RokBoosterLatest Version: J2.5 / J3.x 1.1.10
RokBooster can dramatically reduce the number of HTTP calls a browser has to make, and sending those compressed files GZipped means your pages will load faster with less load on your server.
- Compress Inline and Background Images
- Customizable cache timeout
- Background rendering, so initial file processing won't slow your users down
- Configurable permissions settings
- Exempted individual CSS/JS files
What does this mean in the real world?
To see how this effects a template in the a real world scenario, we'll examine the front-page of the Voxel demo site from a very average 5MB cable connection. We used the Net panel in Firebug for Firefox to get our data.
First we'll see how the site loads the CSS without RokBooster enabled:
As you can see, because Voxel template allows for maximum flexibility with almost unlimited combinations of header/body/footer/backgrounds etc, there are multiple CSS files loaded as well as some of the CSS files needed for the modules used.
Let's turn on RokBooster and see what we get now:
As you can clearly see the 25 original requests have been reduced to 1 request. The 186.5KB of CSS files has been reduced to just 33.6KB (18% of the original size!), and the original 423 ms it took to download the CSS files has been reduced to 166 ms (250% faster!). A drastic improvement!
First without RokBooster enabled:
Let's enable RokBooster and see what we get:
Installation - Joomla 2.5
Downloading the Extension Files
- RokBooster Plugin (rokbooster.zip) This file is the plugin package you will use to install RokBooster into Joomla.
Using the Joomla Installer
From the Menu in your Joomla Administrator, go to Extensions → Install/Uninstall.
Next, browse for your rokbooster.zip file you downloaded and then click Upload File & Install.
Accessing the Plugin Page
Next, go to Extensions → Plugin Manager. In the list, you will find System - RokBooster. Click the name in order to enter RokBooster's Plugin Manager where you can set the options. You will want to set the plugin to Enabled for it to start.
Basic Plugin Configuration
Basic Cache Settings
- Cache Time delineates the amount of time the cache will remain unchanged before it is flushed for a new file.
- Clear Cache button will manually clear the cached files. If the RokBooster is enabled, these files will regenerate when needed.
Style Sheet Settings
- Compress CSS Files to combine and compress CSS files.
- Sort Method to set the type/method for CSS files sorting, "Keep Absolute Ordering" or "Place External Links at Top".
- Compress Inline CSS Blocks to combine all inline css blocks together.
- Compile Imported CSS Files to get the files referenced in CSS via @import rules and add them to the compression. This will slow down the compilation and processing, but no the scanning.
- Max Image Size for Data URIs: The maximum image size to be able to be used for Data URIs. Converting an image to a base64 Data URI add about a 33% overhead. Internet Explorer 8 is limited to 32KB for a Data URI. So a good size to use to support IE would be 21612 bytes..
- Inline CSS Images: Convert in CSS references to local images to Data URIs for images smaller then the Maximum Data URI Image Size.
- Inline Page Images: Convert in page references to local images to Data URIs for images smaller then the Maximum Data URI Image Size.
Advanced Plugin Configuration
- Ignored Files: The paths or urls to files to be ignored by RokBooster. One file per line.
- Scan Method: The method to use for script and style identification and replacement, "Joomla Header Scan", "Full Header Scan", and "Full Page Scan".
- Use Background Rendering: Recommended. Render the combined and compressed cache files in the background. This will cause the first couple of hits to a page to show with uncompressed and uncollected files until the cache files are created.
- Disable for Internet Explorer: Internet Explorer has hardcoded limits on the size of CSS files and rules per file that it can use. This setting lets you disable the compressed files only for IE.
- Cache File Permissions: Permissions that the RokBooster cache files are created with. Dont change unless you need to.
This is a changelog for the RokBooster plugin, alpha, beta, release candidate and finals versions.